What are some things I can do to help my 2-year old learn to communicate?

mommy2angel

Asked by mommy2angel at 2:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure if you mean your baby has a speaking problem or that you need help getting him/her to express his/her feelings instead of getting upset. Baby sign language worked really great for us. It's something to look into. The best tool for boosting language skills has been proven to be just reading. So read, read, read. We have an early talker because of both, but I know others got relief through the toddler years with later talkers by using baby signs. If you mean the getting your child to communicate instead of throw a tantrum, encourage communication by getting him or her to repeat what you'd like them to say, or asking it in the form of a question, (do you want milk now? okay, say mommy may I have some milk now) .
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• He doesnt talk at all. He is currently in speech therapy but still isnt talking!! We have started sign launguage but he doesnt seem to really get the concept. Its really frustrating for him and for us as parents.
    mommy2angel

Comment by mommy2angel (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think 2 is aweful young for speech therapy!! My son is 3 and still has issues with some words... Kids do things at their own pace..
    Best thing you can do is just talk to him.. Every chance you get.. look him in the face and he will watch you mouth the words... Talk about everything you are doing.. It may seem silly at first, but it WILL work...My son didn't put whole sentences together till he was almost 2 1/2... now he talks great with the exception of a few words... I just talk TO him (not at him) all day everyday... we practice sounding out words.. stuff like that.. and when he tries to ask for something... tell him the word.. try to get him to say it before you just give it to him... GL
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't stress about it at this point, two is very young to have a good vocabulary. Children go at their owe pace. If you think he's got some kind of a problem, maybe talking it over with his Pediatrician could help you with it. Good luck hon.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think speech therapy is great! I am proud of you for getting an early start. You wouldn't want to get to Kindergarten or First grade and realize there is a problem. Way to be proactive. Everyone develops at their own pace. Keep up with the sign language, don't force him to sign, as long as you keep with it, he will eventually get it. Just be consistent.
    Danielle D.

Answer by Danielle D. at 10:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I agree with Julian. His hearing has been checked and he is in speech therapy, so he likely just has a different pace. Just talk to him and read to him. With sign language, don't sit down and try and teach him signs, just learn the basic, useful signs and USE them yourself, all the time, whenever you are talking about whatever. Just look at him and say eat and tap your fingers together when you are giving him food. You don't have to make him do it, but after a while he will put it together. I know it must be harder with a two-year-old though, infants are a captive audience but two-year-olds are busy doing their own thing.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:51 AM on Sep. 26, 2010