My son starts gettin hyper at 8:30pm every night....

heyy moms quick questions.....during the day my son is calm most of the day, but then out of no where every night at 8:30 he gets hyper as hell, being loud, running all over the place and is like ready to party. I just don't get it, its like it comes out of no where. Does anyone have an idea of why this happens and how I could get him to calm down????/

Erin198623

Asked by Erin198623 at 3:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 2 year old does the same thing at 2am!!!!!!!!! Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Thanks. Haha....id go crazy if he did that at 2am. Do you do anythin to calm him down or just let him be?
    Erin198623

Comment by Erin198623 (original poster) at 4:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It's 4 am here and she is still awake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just let her run around like crazy. She is so full of energy all the time.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my sons knocked out now....but he didn't fall asleep till after a 11
    Erin198623

Comment by Erin198623 (original poster) at 4:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Have you ever tried to just make them sit down. Sitting still watching tv worked for my kids.

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i put him in his room with the tv on....
    Erin198623

Comment by Erin198623 (original poster) at 4:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Not put him in his room alone. Sit him down with you. And make him sit there. Teach him to sit still.

Answer by louise2 at 5:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It could be that he is overstimulated. He need quiet transition time. Also, I would check what time I'm feeding him because kids tend to get hyped up after mealtimes or snacks even if they are healthy non-sugary snacks. I'd make sure he is getting enough exercise and physical activity throughout his day -- if he is in school and required to stay still so much during the day he may just finally be shaking that off and deciding that he wants to play.

My 3 year old still doesn't want to go to bed, but I got her to go better because her baby sister gets put down and we have a routine where I come help her Dad tuck her in after that. Usually she is out like I light once I'm in the room for about 10 minutes, but we have about 15-30 minutes of quiet reading sit still time in the bedroom with her Dad before that is even a possibility.
    Chandra C.

Answer by Chandra C. at 6:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Does he nap during the day? If not, it just may be that he is overtired. Sometimes when you pass that sleepy "time", all hell brakes loose. Or he may be napping too long, wake him by 4:00 the latest. My Son still naps till 4:00 so he gets a little wacky at about 8:00pm. So at about that time, we put "Little Bear" on TV, turn off the lights in the den and snuggle until it's over. Then he'll go to bed when it's over nice & easy (most of the time). I think this behavior is average for their age. Also another poster was right. Make sure he is not eating anything sugary after 6:00pm. Also I have just recently found that food with red dye #40 or blue, makes him overly stimulated as well. I eliminated Juicy Juice Punch flavor in the pink sippy boxes because of this. He was going batty after he drank one. Watch any red or blue fruit juices. Good luck!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My 2.5 yo does that just before he starts getting cranky and then it's time for bed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010