Did you base the size of your family on the family you grow up with?

I ask this cause that seems to be true. I have two older sisters that are 16 months apart we are 6 and 7 years apart. My mother made it clear how stupid it was to have two so close. Plus I witness the craziness of having teenage sisters about a year apart. In fact I swear I would never have more then one child so I based my family on what I saw with the family I grow up.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 5:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My parents have 3 kids. I deside 3 was to many. So I stoped at 2. I did not like the way my parents favored one child over the other. So I tried my best not to favor one over the other. I made both my kid do the same chores and had the same rules.

Answer by louise2 at 5:43 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yep.
    My mother had 6. I have 6. She had them one year apart, I had my two oldest one year apart (with first relationship) second relationship had the next 4 one after another.
    She coped and loved us all, I love and coped with all my kids.
    So with me it is, however my sister has no kids at all, she told me at one stage she wanted kids but didnt find the right man, now she is set in her way and is happy with her life.
    My brothers have kids ranging...one has 2, one has 3 and one has 7
    So Im pretty sure its only some that follow family patterns.
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 5:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nope. I have two beautiful little girls, and my family of origin was 5 kids. I was #4. I am not interested in having 4 children since I want them to be able to do things, money is tight, so had a tubal ligation. I have two sisters both older and one has 4 kids the other none. Of my two brothers, one has 3 kids and the other none.
    Chandra C.

Answer by Chandra C. at 5:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my older brothers and sisters i did not grow up with , they were dad's from a previous marriage they were close in age. imagine dad marrying my mom and having me when they were teens. but that is what happened. my sister had my nephew a few years after i was born so him and i were close in age. my mom lost a set of twin boys right after i was born and could not have any more children. so i was raised as a only child. i did not want to have a only child because i was so lonely. i wanted my kids close together and had them a few months apart. my youngest will be 8 in October and my oldest will be 9 in February. i realize that i actually had them to close together but i love them and would not change it for the world.
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 6:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nope. The size of family is based on what my uterus delivered; stingy thing that it is.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My husb & I met somewhere in between, with a his, mine & ours combo! My husb is the baby of 9! (God I dont know how his mother did it!- God love her) I grew up an only child until my 1/2 sis (dad & stepmom) was born- we are 25 yrs apart! My step dau is 19 yrs older than our dau together! In fact we were preg at the same time- thats right I became a mom & a step-Gma w/in a few months. Crazy. Then I have my 2 boys who are 1 1/2 yrs apart. It was hard, but they are close- and the teen years werent too bad. I have a feeling it'll be my 8 y/o dau whose teen years will do me in! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nope.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nope. My husband has three older brothers more than 10 years older than he is and I have two sisters: I am the oldest than the one below me is 16 m younger and the one below her is 19 months younger. I have 5 kids 8, 6, 5, 4, 19 m. Our family resembles my grandmothers more.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No, not at all. I was an only child, my husband and I have 3 ... and the thought process had nothing to do with if it was "better" or "worse" than how we were raised, it was simply choosing what was right for us.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, my husband wanted 3 (he's from a family of 7 brothers and sisters) I wanted 2 a boy & a girl (I have 2 brothers & 1 sister). We were lucky to get 1. We have our family now of 3 (mom, dad & son). With our little family we are able to do things that a lot of families can't. We are perfectly happy with our family now and laugh at what we wanted. Sometimes in life what you want is not what you get. 

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2010