My daughter is 3 and is not potty trained yet. How can I get her interested? adult content

She is wearing pull ups, and occasionally will go pee in the potty but never #2. She had #2 going problems from birth where she couldn't go had pain / colic, and shes gotten better from that but I think its impacted her wanting anything to do with potty training. It doesn't help that her closest cousin (6 mos older) is not interested either.

I bought her panties of her choice, a singing potty, tried to get her to go each time I do, and tried putting her panties on her but she just keeps wetting them, and doesn't seem to be consistently interested. I didn't even try to potty train her when I had her sister 2 mos ago, but she isn't able to go to HeadStart, which would be nice for her when I am at work because of this -- I don't want her to not have time with kids her own age because shes not potty trained. Right now, her gramma watches her and her sister when I work because I can't afford to put her in daycare.

Suggestions?

Chandra C.

Asked by Chandra C. at 6:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Headstart requires potty training success at 3 years old? That's a bit odd...most kids are still training at that age.

My daughter, btw, did the same thing. I took the advice of a friend and let her watch Finding Nemo. When they got to the part about all drains leading to the ocean, I played it up and started talking about the potty...and how the fishes needed to "eat"....it's GROSS, I know, but it sparked her interest. She WANTED to feed the fishes....she's 3 1/2 now and only wears goodnights to bed.

As disgusting as it sounds, it worked....

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I am a hard nose when it comes to this topic; sans any medical issue that might prevent a child from mastering this milestone, i think we as parents just are way too "soft'. Make no bones about it; this is where we do our business, and if we do not do our business here (in the toilet) we must clean up said business.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 7:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Its hard enough that the child is developmentaly delayed. Its ok to introduce potty training as early as possible but don't bully the kid. I have two developmentaly delayed children. We strugled with potty training as our 4 year old daughter would not budge. we even let her walk around the yard wearing only underwear and she would still soil herself. I believe that over the summer a light bulb just came on and she independently asked to go potty in the toilet. I don't know what triggered this response. I'm just happy she is going potty both one and two. She still wears pull-ups only at night. So my advice, stop making yourself crazy. Take it day by day and eventually it WILL happen.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010