what would you do?

I am on a leave from work (a 15 hour a week job) my husband was going to have major surgery ,but they decided it was too risky. My boss told me to take more time anyhow and get myself back together. I do daycare after school 2:15 til 5:45 for a special needs boy and have 3 kids of my own ,one w, special needs ,,,,now that i have been home all week i like it . driving to cubscouts,,football and everything else doesnt seem as bad. My husband asked me yest "why u home there is no reason to be home anymore?',,Yes we could use the $$,,,,but its little pay 9.00 an hour and hes not willing to meet me half way on his spending .I need advice ,,i wanna stay home, but he wants me working!! Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• How were those things getting done while you were working? Was he helping out? If you were paying someone, then 15 hours at $9.00.hr, is virtually working for the sitter. He needs to be supportive of the demands placed on you. You cant put a price on your sanity.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• nope kids are all in school,but still alot,,he helps out on weekends,,hes a neat freak,but nope,,,,,not w, cooking or stuff like that
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• There are more advantages to having a job than just the money (which, of course, is a big part of it.) There is keeping your foot in the employment door, building job contacts, building SS or retirement, and so forth. Unless you can increase your income from babysitting by taking in more children during the day, perhaps, I'd stay with the job, especially since you indicated that your husband is a spender.

Answer by Bmat at 7:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• oh and I take on -line classes
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Why not do both? There are jobs you can do at home like West, Arise, Live Ops etc. You can head over to http://www.wahm.com and they have folders over there where you can get more info. He might have to watch the kids as it will probably need to be quiet, but this way you are at home and still working.

The other alternative is to have a work at home business in direct sales or something like that where it doesn't matter if the kids are making noise. I know more about the business end of things as that is what I have. You might find info on my blog helpful http://www.rozpearcy.com as I have 3 videos on there to help with your work at home search to get you going in the right direction. They are generic so no businesses are mentioned, but I do give a couple job suggestions.
    RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 8:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think your husband wants to make sure the family stays afoat. try to do both. I agree the salary is not great but have you seen the line at the unemployment office. If your husbands health goes bad you would have some income. Think about how it affects the entire family. be sure to consider the more you don't work the longer it will take you to retire.
    Schaun

Answer by Schaun at 10:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't quit any job until he can get his spending under control.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Right now, it's just too tough to rely on any assistance to help you both out. I would definitely make sure at least one of you is working a good job. In the near future, there really is going to be some major reconstruction of welfare programs, even unemployment. There simply isn't enough money to go around right now. If you have a job, I would definitely keep it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Have you thought about working from home? With Mary Kay, I earn 50% on everything I sell and get to hang out with the girls and have fun, spend time with my family, work whichever hours I want, and earn money while doing it! Get in touch with me if you're interested in learning more!!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 11:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I sure hope your husband isn't a part of the hundreds of men in the age bracket 20's to 40's making their wives, girlfriends, live-ins work while they stay at home and watch the sports channel? That would be a bummer for both of you. However, if you're both working and having a hard time making ends meet. I wouldn't quit until you had something of greater or equal value as you have now. Jobs are hard to come by these days. With companies downsizing, its hard to keep a job. it sounds like you have a great boss who is very understanding. R u sure you want to give that up? At least this way you know your boss will give you the time off if this happens again.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010