Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If I separate from husband and leave home with dd, will this affect me in court?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (11)
  • Laws vary from state to state. Talk to a lawyer to work out a plan of action so everything is done by the book. Good luck to you & your family.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think so especially if she is in a hostile environment. Just make sure you stay within your dd's school system if she is in school. And whatever you do- DON'T move in with a guy, because that will definitely affect you in court.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • Its called Abandonment if you do it for no reason. So yeah.

    Answer by Zoeyis at 8:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I would talk to a lawyer to be sure, but I don't think so. I know many women who left the house with their children when they separated from their husbands and they had no problems. I actually packed up and left with my son when my husband was on a hunting trip. He tried to use that and even his lawyer laughed at him.
    Now if you left the children there and just you left, that would be a different story. A friend of mine did that and then tried to get her kids back. She had a hard time with that.

    Answer by layh41407 at 8:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • First have him served with seperation or divorce papers then you can go wth no problem You just cannot leave the state Good Luck Stay Strong!

    Answer by SCMomof2kids at 8:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • He could get you for abandoment. I'd check with a lawyer first.

    Answer by fatcat0908 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I agree with SCM, don't do anything that would jeopardize you down the road. Get your divorce or separation papers first.....Good luck hon.


    Answer by zbee at 8:48 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • Depending on the reason, & why you left & if you DONT have any contact with her when you leave, then it is abadoment.... & will make it much much harder for you down the road..

    Also in some states, like my state, when A child is born NO one has custody of the child. So if you leave & take her he might be able to get her back.

    File for the papers & cover your butt.

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:02 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I think some people might be confused on what the OP is saying. She is saying leaving WITH dd.

    And what if this was a domestic violence situation? I'd hardly say that's abandonment. Of course we don't know the OP's situation but I'm just sayin'...

    Answer by Namaste17 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • why are we all assuming she's the innocent victim here? We have no back story, nor do we have her side of things here?

    Why are you wishing a total stranger luck just because she's the mom without knowing all the facts first? For all we know HE's the innocent victim and she should be no where near those kids (not saying thats the case, but for all we know, it could be).

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.