Can your 5 year old make a PB and J sandwich by themselves and pour a glass of milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, I have a 6 and an 8 year old and they've been making their own sandwiches for over a year now. Sometimes they make a mess but that's okay, at least they're learning how to do things for themselves. They can also heat up a sausage biscuit or frozen pancakes in the microwave.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Yes assuming the gallon of milk is half full or less. If it's over 1/2 full then they'll ask for help.

DD is (6) but she has only been 6 for 3 months and she has been doing her own sandwiches like that for at least the past 9 months.

DS (just turn 7 last week) started doing his own stuff when he was 5.... he now can even open cans of veggies and tuna with a can opener....:)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My 5yo can make a sandwich but she makes a huge mess. She isn't allowed to pour her own milk unless it is almost empty. But that is just her. She is very klutzy.

My older two kids have been making their own sandwiches and pouring their own milk (like the person above said if it less then half full) since they were 4/4 1/2 years old. They are 8 and 6 1/2. They both also can use the toaster (so can my 5yo) and the microwave (my 5yo is not allowed because she doesn't get the rules for it). They've been using the microwave since they were 5. They are pretty self sufficient. My 6yo will get our 2yo breakfast in the morning and help the 5yo.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• yep, I don't like to eat the sandwich as everything is in the center of the bread and none on the edges but they love it
    natalie23910

Answer by natalie23910 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I had a 7 year old step daughter that can not do anything for herself. She was catered to 24/7 and still is. I think it is highly important for them to learn to do things on their own like making a sandwich, or pouring a bowl of cereal. I do not know how she will ever make it in this world if her parents don't step up and make her be responsible. She does absolutely nothing. No cleaning, she wont start her own bath, etc. It was very frustrating watching it all and me being the one in the wrong all the time. Their excuse was always "you don't have a kid, you wouldn't know" It was very hurtful. I just had a little one and my views still haven't changed.
    Anonymous

• Yes, both my 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter make their own sandwiches. My son has been making his own sandwiches and pouring milk or getting water by himself for 2 years now and my daughter has been doing the same for about a year.
    They may make a mess but they feel independent and they know they if they are hungry and I'm busy they can feed themselves. My son started pouring his own bowl of cereal last year and helps his sister with hers. Now he wants to start making his own toast and waffles but I don't think I'm prepared for him to use the toaster just yet, maybe next year.
    VidaH

Answer by VidaH at 11:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My 5yo son helps me make bfast in the mornings. He breaks the eggs and even helps me scramble them. He has been using the micro since he learned his # (I tell him which 1s to push) and he just started to pour his own drinks a few mo's ago. A little mess is ok and it's good to learn.
    kerriwebb

Answer by kerriwebb at 6:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• When my daughter who is 6 1/2 comes home from school or during the weekend. She'll make herself a snack. And has to do it all by herself. She loves making her own PB&J and deli meat and mayo sandwiches. Also pours her own drinks and makes her ice tea from the powder mix.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009