Store brand vs. name brand

I'm looking for some ways to save money since I'm on maternity leave pay. We spend way too much money when we go grocery shopping at walmart. (around 200.00 each time and there are only 3 of us) I was wondering if anyone had used store brand diapers...I really like huggies for our newborn. Also, has anyone used store brand formula that is comparable to similac advance with early shield? Thanks so much!

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 8:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Store brand formula is fine. They can't cut corners with that there is a set standard that has to be net since it is a food product. Diapers...I don't like store brands very much. We use them because we have to but they are not as soft and aren't shaped as nicely. IN general teh only name brand anything I buy is Kraft Mac and Cheese! The store brands are gross!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have used store brand diapers, they aren't as nice. Have you sonsidered cloth diapers? I know you are just on maternity leave, but some daycares do allow cloth diapers (so I hear), they just toss it in a bag for you to take home and wash. IDK. But the site I order mine from are TheLuvYourBaby.com They are the most inexpensive ones I could find and I love them....I got them because of financial problems also. Bought 20 for around $150....way cheaper than the $20 per all-in-ones that are out there. Plus at day care, they are regulated to change them every hour. But as far as store brands with other products, some things aren't as good, but it's all preference and you will figure that out. I can say that Luvs and Pampers are similiar, I hated Huggies. And formula, if you are switching and your baby is that young you'll have to do it gradually. Mix 4 cups of formula at once and start by adding 2 scoops of new formula....
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• ...then the next time you mix up a batch add 1 more scoop of the new formula. This doesn't shock their system and give them problems. Plus then when you have bottles mixed and prepared that just need heated, there isn't as much air/bubbles in there from shaking/mixing it right before feeding. I have always made a days worth of bottles at once, learned all of that info there from my momma!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i did that once and WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN....my daughter developed a bad rash omg to save money my daughter ended up sick and in the hospital...so i did not save i say it was the most expensive diapers i had ever got...save up on other things but keep your childs things if you go to BJ's you can get the big box and if you calculate it comes out cheaper the brand she might use...good luck
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have never used store brands i only used Pampers brand ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have used the store brand formula and diapers. I still do too. :)

My little boy wears the store brand at school and Pampers at home (if I can afford them) because the daycare goes through diapers like they don't cost money. I can get more for my money with those and take a whole case to school for him.

And as said above they can't cut corners on the formula. :)

Do what you have to do for now. Maybe buy one small pack of the store brand and see how they work for you.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• White Cloud diapers from walmart work just fine, in fact I had less leaking from them then with Pampers brand. As far as with formula, if you don't feel comfortable going to the store brand, maybe cutting costs else where will help to have more money for it. Walmart is not always cheaper, check adds for deals, always a great way to save money and they will sometimes have formula on sale. Also try stores you haven't before. If you have an Aldis store, that's a great place to start. Milk, eggs, and other food items are cheaper there. Find ways to save money around the house, like watching how much electric your using and stuff, every penny counts. Have you thought about WIC? They are a great program and a great help.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've never had success with store brand diapers, and I've never bought formula so I'm not much help there. But in general, we use food generics unless we get the name brand on sale.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I use the walmart brand diapers and in my opinion are the best on my son. He doesn't like or develope rash like the other ones. The milk I only used certain brand since whe was on soy formula and I didn't want to mess up with that. Buy everything on small and try it out to see if you like it, that's what I did.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I tried parents choice, and my DD leaked every time. White Cloud was ok, but not as absorbant.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010