FFA/4H Parents

Does anyone have a child or children showing a animal with the FFA or 4H?The reason I ask is because I have 2 kids showing and we have a hard time getting understand the importance of walking there animals everyday. We don't force this on them they are excited to show, so what's the deal?

mcme

Asked by mcme at 8:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Pets

• because the animal has to be well mannered to show well in the auction when they go up for sale......there for walking them everyday gets them (animal and child) more in-tuned with each other and they show better when brought up for auction......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm not a 4-H/FFA parent, but I used to show animals, heifers, growing up. Here are a few things I can think of. First, the animals need regular exercise so that they will be in good shape and more likely to place well in the show. This is especially important in the market animals. Second, if you don't spend the proper amount of time working with your animal, it will be more likely to misbehave in the show ring, which can be embarrassing. I know of someone that was knocked down and pinned by her lamb in the ring. I have also seen some heifers and steers pull their halters out of the kid's hands. Also, a well-controlled animal shows better; I know steers and heifers look better to the judge if their feet are placed correctly.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I agree with all of the above. To teach the animal manners and to build muscle they are supposed to have.

It also has a lot to do with the core values that FFA/4H teaches. Responsibility being a huge one. It's teaching the kids how to take care of something and have responsibility for an animal's care.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 9:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010