Till what age are kids able to share a room?

roselips_2002

Asked by roselips_2002 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My girls are 10 and 17 and still have to share a room- they have no choice. I was 7 years older than my sister and also shared a room with her until I turned 18 and left for the Army.

Now, if you mean a boy and a girl sharing a room- then I'd have to say at the age of 5 because they need their privacy to change clothes and play gender-based things in their own space.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Until they don't want to share anymore.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:43 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I guess until they start trying to kill each other!! kidding. When you think that they need their own space is when they should get their own rooms, but some kids share rooms until they move out. It is just works for your family.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• For the most part, a boy and a girl shouldn't be sharing a room after they start school. A lot of states even have laws about at what age they should have their own room. So if that is what you are talking about, I would check out the laws in your state. But a boy and a boy or a girl and a girl, when they need their own space is when they should stop sharing. They will let you know. HTH
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I shared a room with my sister until I went to college, and for a few months after I graduated; I moved out when I got my first real job and my own place.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• States have laws about opposite sex foster children sharing rooms or opposite sex children sharing rooms in government funded housing. Aside from those circumstances, the choice is yours. It simply depends on what is comfortable for your family.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My sons have always shared a room and the oldest sons are almost 21 yr old twins. The problem is when opposite sex siblings share a room.
    If you don't have the space for your same sex siblings then they just have to get over it and share....my sister and I did til I went to college.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I shared a room with my sister until I was 18 and she was 15 because at that age my brother move out of the house and she took his room. If it like boy and girl I will say until 5 or 6 tops.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Until you or they don't want them to share...if there is another option.

My girls have no choice but to share.  They are 10, almost 8 and 4 1/2 and will probably always have to share a room (all 3 of them together).

My boys will eventually share a room, too.  The oldest will be 9 next week and the youngest is 2 months old. 

Before that my older son shared with the middle girl.  They've been sharing a room since they were 5 and 6.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• With multiple kids in my home they share rooms. I have to share a room so will they. I do not have boys and girls sharing. My two oldest have their own rooms and the when they leave for collage the next oldest will get the room. Good luck
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010