Do you cuss around your kids?

Good Morning America ran a story today about kids cussing at a younger age now. (2yr olds) Their blaming it on parents which is probably correct. I admit, I do. But DD also knows there is a difference between adult speech and kid speech. We explained long ago that we don't care if she knows the words, its how and where words are used. So far she's chose just not to use them at all. Which is fine by me. By doing this, it takes out the "aw" factor of doing something forbidden.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 8:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Like someone else said, I think using swear words littered through your conversation sounds uneducated. But I do swear, when it is warranted (hurting myself, frustration with things[not people]) and I do it whether dd is in the room or not. I used to laugh and say "don't say what mommy says" but I don't anymore (she is 8) and she has never uttered a single swear word (at least, not in front of an adult). She seems to understand that though I could care less (I don't bat an eye when I hear the kids on the playground let the word "damn" slip out, i don't find swearing offensive) they are not acceptable to the world of children and school...I think people take something nearly meaningless like four letter words way too seriously. I haven't, however, ever used a racial slur. But I consider those "bad words" not expletives...
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 3:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yeah I cuss in front of my 6 year old. I try not to do it, but hey things happen. She knows what words she is not supossed to say, and she doesn't say them. She knows that there are many things in life that adults can do but kids can't. My daddy cussed like a trucker around me when I was growing up. I knew not to say them so I didn't until I was about 16 or 17.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I try very hard not too, but sometimes when I am angry it slips out. I think that it does come from parents or other rolemodels. You also cant tell your kids not to do something if you are doing it. I used to hate it when my mom would tell me to stop doing something and she was doing the same.
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No
    My son has autism and repeats what he hears. I also get annoyed that people see no problem with swearing in public as well.
    While it's great that you can teach your kid the difference between adult words and kid words, but my son knows those words are bad and while we have gotten them to the point where he does not use them regularly anymore, when he hears someone swearing in public he laughs and will begin to loudly repeat that word.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yeah, once in a while I'll get angry about something and say a cuss word. We're human and it's not bad to let our kids know that, but with that said I think parents should be careful not to use that language all of the time in their ordinary speech.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've gotten better, but yes, But my son also knows hes not allowed to say them. We've thought about doing swear jar, & having to put money in it for him everytime we cuss... but the little booger doesn't want it. He rather pop our hands when we do.. =)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I try not to...but like most here said it just slips sometimes. My boys know not to say it and will actaully point out that someone said a bad word and that thats not nice lol. I think the problem with young kids cussing comes from the parent not teaching their child that it's not okay to use the word and laughing because they think it's "cute" instead.
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I do, but I also don't discourage them from doing it either... I don't buy in to the idea of bad words. Instead we stress usage of ALL words over the idea that certain words are bad simply by nature. The ONLY exception to this rule in my house is words which are racially offensive, because they simply shouldn't ever come up in conversation... But if you kick your foot and scream Damn or F*** why is it any worse that screaming OUCH... In fact a recent study stated that profanity in such cases actually helps the brain cope with the pain. On the other hand if you use "non-bad words" as a way to put others down or insult them, how are they not just as bad as a "bad word."

Anyways, point is, yes, I cuss in front of my children. And I see no reason not to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes we cuss around the kids but they know those are adult words and they aren't supposed to use them.  They are 10, almost 9, almost 8 and 4 1/2 and none of them swear that I hear.  Well my son (the almost 9yo) has a tendency to say crap and things like that a lot so I've had to warn him about using those words around other kids because their parents might consider then swear words.

I don't think it's a big deal.  They are just words and words only have as much power as you give to them.  My parents swore constantly when I was a kid but I rarely did it until just recently.  The most I said growing up was hell or damn and that was in high school and college.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sometimes yes. A "shit" or "damn it" slips out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010