Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Would you make a sandwich with bread that has a small spot of mold?

Before everyone tosses their lunch, I DO remove the small bit before I eat it or feed it to my kids. I am not talking all over, don't even open the bag mold, just that bit on a corner. I was making toast this am and there was a small spot of mold on the last two pieces of bread and I pulled the bits off and made my toast.

 
Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 8:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

Level 17 (4,243 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (20)
  • i scrape it off and eat it. always have, always will...why waste bread?
    okmanders

    Answer by okmanders at 1:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I've done it before.
    toobigfrogs

    Answer by toobigfrogs at 8:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I grew up with depression era grandparents... we threw away NOTHING. If it had a spot of mold, it was cut off and served. The mold on bread is actually pretty harmless, unless we're talking covered, which you stated we're not. I guess it depends a lot on how you were raised.
    Annabel1809Lee

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • No,because its covered in mold you can't see just yet. The spot you see is just the biggest concentration of mold.
    butterflyblue19

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • I do it sometimes.
    nicole_Evans

    Answer by nicole_Evans at 10:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • i grew up very poor we cut the mold off i wouldent feed that to my kids but id eat it
    Kittty_Katt

    Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:34 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • Never.... it can still make you very sick.
    kaylan010

    Answer by kaylan010 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • NO! Eating bread mold is not a good idea. While many kinds of mold are perfectly harmless, there are some extremely nasty molds out there that can make you very ill. Some of them are even quite common. Mold on bread isn't worth the risk, but that mold on cheese is fairly safe.

    mama_l

    Answer by mama_l at 9:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • no, my husband would!
    Schaun

    Answer by Schaun at 10:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

  • We just tear it off and eat the bread.  My dad would have had a fit if we wasted bread over one tiny spot of mold.  If it was really bad we tore it apart and tossed it out for the birds (and, yes, they eat it).


    When I worked in my college cafeteria we had to throw out the slices of bread with mold but kept the rest of the loaf.

    justanotherjen

    Answer by justanotherjen at 12:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN