Carpal tunnel syndrome, please help!

I started having carpal tunnel syndrome about 4 weeks before my due date, just tingley and numb fingers occasionally, nothing painful. Now it's been 6 weeks since my son was born and it has only gotten worse over the last few weeks. I have pain in my wrists and arms and my hands are partially numb all the time. Soemtimes I can't even change my son's diaper because it's too painful. Has anyone ever experienced this? Does it ever go away?? I've read it goes away, I've never heard of it getting worse after the baby is born. I see the doctor on Tuesday.

newmomma14

Asked by newmomma14 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Health

• It really depends. Do you wear wrist braces? If not that might give you some relief. Best thing to do is let your doctor do the tests on your wrists and go from there.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Mine didn't go away complete for 2 months. However, it wasn't painful ... hopefully the doctor can prescribe something for the pain at least. Did you try taking Ibuprofen to get rid of inflammation?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• The only cure for that is surgery. wear wrist braces,they help. ur doctor will probably suggest them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Agree with SalemWitchChild. I feel your pain! I live in in the deep south and was due in early September with my first child. I worked in the production of pharmaceuticals which required alot of repetitive motion with my hands. By late in month 7 my hands were almost completely incapacitated. My OB referred me to a specialist. I had carpal tunnel in the left wrist and a pea sized cyst that developed on the right wrist and was pinching a nerve. Not to mention my feet were so swollen that I couldn't wear the required shoes to work. I ended up going on early leave. I had two different braces for each hand/wrist. I saw my doctor after my dd was born. The carpal tunnel in the left wrist resolved itself when the swelling went down after she was born. The right wrist with the cyst was no better. I was afraid I would drop the baby since I was always dropping things that were large/heavy. continued...
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If it wasn't something that would fit in my hand it was too heavy for my hand to hold. It felt weak and out of my control. Sometimes I would drop things and not even be aware that it was happening until it was already out of my hands. I had surgery 12 weeks postpartem and have had no trouble since.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have tried Ibuprofen, didn't work at all. Nikki, how long does the surgery take? How long until you recover?
    newmomma14

Comment by newmomma14 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists at one time the surgery only took about 2 hours and a 6 week recovery time. I don't recommend both at one time I was having knee surgery after so I need both hands for crutches. I had minimal pain and haven't had my wrists bother me since
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I had carpal tunnel surgery on June 10th not after having a baby though and I am still dealing with some pain and scar tissue I'm trying to break up I still need to have the other wrist done but I didn't just have carpal tunnel release they had to release on the side of my wrist also where you would bend your wrist I wouldn't recommend having bith done at once wear wrist braces they do help and I take naproxen for mine

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Not every case of CTS is handled surgically... sometimes it can be treated with a cortisone injection and a wrist splint.... every case is different. Ask to see an ortho that specializes in Hands, don't fool around and let your PCP treat it!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Goodness......sure hope you can get some pain relief. I use the wrist supports for mine now and then as well.

My specialist said I have mild/moderate carpul tunnel. Said surgery is great for a while for most people, but it can come back in 5-10 years, some times worse than you started out! Great! So encouraging! NOT!

A friend had her one wrist done.....no problem...the other ...worst than before she had surgery......so it seems 50/50 chance it will work.

I use naproxen sodium as well...ibuprophen, motrin.......does not always help and I about cry in pain when I wake up every single day. Finger tips on my left hand constantly numb/tingly.

I worked at a printing company, gathering up books..phamplets.....grabbed thousands of those during the time I worked there.

I soak both wrists in real hot water with Epsom salts, it helps a litlte....but only temporary. I drop things all the time still......
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 8:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2010