I need help explaining the facts of life or sex to my 11 yr old.

Help!!! I'm not ready,lol. I know some of you are thinking she probably already knows some but I don't think so due to things I over hear.Is there any good books I can read before hand or any advice?

Jillysmom

Asked by Jillysmom at 9:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I went to the library and asked the librarian in the juvenile section to recommend some books. She worked with me for about 15 minutes, finding out what exact topics I wanted to cover (anatomy only VS. intercourse, for example) and was able to help me choose 3 good books. The conversation with my daughter went smoothly and the books w/ illustrations helped clarify things for her.
    Good luck and yes, I'd definitely start doing some talking if she's 11. :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• you can try ur local library. google. or just straight to the suject of sex.
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• She probably knows what her friends have told her which is probably a lot of misinformation. If you go to the library or the book store they do have books to help parents get into this subject. I talk to my daughters about kissing and such now (7 and 4) and how their bodies are changing. I just bring it up naturally. They will be talking about so and so has a boy friend and I start asking questions about it. Than I ask if they have a boyfriend if they do what do they do what are friends doing with boyfriends and just turn it into a normal conversation so that there is no awkwardness of the lets have "the talk." Good luck I hope you find away to do it that is not so awkward for you or her.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would ask her what she does know. Ask her what she thinks it is. Once you know what she knows you can correct or expand on that. Good luck
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• http://www.myubam.com/ecommerce/details.asp?sid=J3600&gid=104634358&title=What%27s+Happening+to+Me%3F+%28Girls+Edition%29+&sqlwhere=submit%3Dsearch%26search%3Dwhat%2Bis%2Bhappening

This book might get the ball rolling too
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Maybe this can help you, then head towards the library as you next step.  Sex education - talking to teenagers.   GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'll help you out a little  mom2queenie2004 ;-)  

'What''s Happening to Me'

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I gave my daughter an American Girl book about her changing body. I told her to look throough it and see me if she had questions. I'm sure they have a book or movies for boys his age.
    Schaun

Answer by Schaun at 10:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I started the discusssion with my 11 year old son with a book and now he knows he can ask any questions he needs. He likes to ask while we're in the car, because he does't have to look at me and it cuts down on his embarrassment. He also asks by writing down the question and leaving it under my pillow and I do the same with the answer. I always give him the answer to his question and a small touch extra to keep him thinking.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• buy books or videos
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010