out of control 2 year old

My 2 year old has been acting horrible these past few weeks. He will not mind me at all! For instance...i took him to a parade a week or so back,he kept running from me and when i told him to be good,he would scream as loud as he could! It is so embarrassing...he acts like this EVERYWHERE! Then if I get on to him, he tells me 'no..shutup' and he hits and kicks. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't have to take the embarrassment of your child acting this way, and he shouldn't be allowed to be rewarded for his behavior by staying out during and after tantrums. My son is finally starting to break his pattern of this attitude after about 6 months. When he throws fits in public, I take him out to the car and there we sit until he calms himself down and agrees to be a good boy. If he starts throwing fits again, he doesn't get another chance. We go straight home. It can make it hard to get things like shopping done until the habit is broken for him, but TRUST ME it's worth it in the long run.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Next time you go out with him you should keep him in a stroller. Let him know that if he wants to act like a baby he will be treated like one. Just explain to him that what he is doing is unacceptable and just let him have his tantrum. Just walk away (at home) and ignore it until he behaves
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• He should be earning fun outings like the parade...if his behavior is not good at home, he doesn't do chores, etc. then he doesn't go. As for when he displays that behavior in public...end the outing immediately, and take him home for a "nap" in his room. I agree with the above poster...make it about being treated as a big boy vs. being treated as a baby.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Well , I agree with the previous posters, He shouldn't be gifted with outings if he is going to act like this my daughter is 2 years old and no she doesn't act like that, and the shut up stuff he must have heard it from someone, kids just don't pick up things like this out of the blue without hearing it a few times from someone else, i would start timing him out, in the corner, and its all in the tone of your voice, and the facial expressions you give, to give the chill up his spine and him to stop dead in his tracks without spanking, I just have to tell my daughter and she will just stop! What she is doing and make me feel bad by saying," Why mommy" hah

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2008