Has anyone else had to have progesterone shots?

I start on progesterone shots tomorrow, through the end of my pregnancy. I am 20 wks. along. With my 1st baby, my water broke at 32 wks. These shots are supposed to help my water no break so soon again. Has progesterone shots worked/not worked for anyone here?? (As far as prolonging the pregnancy?)

begal3

Asked by begal3 at 5:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I had them and yes, my daughter was carried to term. I got them one time a week and the side effects were awful...pretty much all of your pregnancy symptoms are because of progesterone...even the weird stuff like your feet and nose getting wider...nightmares...that sort of thing. I was hot and tired constantly with them. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, especially since you've got to do it for your baby, but if at all possible try to free up some time for you to relax after you see how it affects you. Good luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have a history of having early labor. With my last child my doctor put me on progesterone shots when I was 26 weeks along because the FFN test came back positive (at risk for pre-term labor). I was also sent to have steroid shots to help the baby's lung mature at the same time. At 30 weeks I had contraction and started to dilate, so I was put on a terbutalene  pump. My water still broke at 32 weeks. My daughter did well though. She weight 4lbs 14oz and she only had to stay in the hospital for 11 days. My doctors said that I was the only patient that they have ever had that had their water break on progesterone shots.  That was 3 years ago and when I just saw him 2 weeks ago he said I am still the only patient that that has happened to.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would like to add, that I did not experience any of the side effects that the first poster did.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2008