What is the most effective way to teach letter/number recognition??

Gramma744

Asked by Gramma744 at 6:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• flash cards, circle time, anything that is fun. do them over and over make it a game. Children learn different ways just find out what works and go from there.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 7:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I like to make matching games...use a manila folder, laminate the pieces (numbers, letters, shapes)...apply velcro and let them play.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I made up a bingo game. I put letters and numbers on different cards-- so it wouldn't confuse my daughter. We the bingo game a lot with her brothers. I had to show her the letters and numbers everytime at first, but now she can find them on her own.
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son is a visual learner. We used this site to introduce him to letters/sound:
    (paste and copy)

http://www.starfall.com/n/level-k/index/load.htm?f
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Play. Play. Play and read. :) Find games that incorporate letters and numbers. Make it FUN! Get finger paints and make the letters with your fingers in that goop. Get foam bath letters and numbers (play "who can find the A under the bubbles" or whatever game you come up with.) Play I Spy and incorporate letters and numbers. Read books like "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" and "Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3." Play board games that incorporate numbers and letters. Play Go Fish - with numbers on the cards! Give paper and art supplies then write titles on the resulting images and your child's name - spelling out what you write to build a connection between the words and the letters. Preschoolers learn best when they can experience and not be expected to sit and absorb. I admit, I'm very "anti-flashcard." Kids this age don't need drills - they need fun.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Repetition... Since they were able to sit; I would sing the alphabet to them or number songs (1, 2, buckle my shoe, etc) -- and when we'd go out to dinner instead of simply coloring; we'd write the alphabet out and the numbers out and talk about what colors we were writing in, etc...and when we go for walks we stop at mail boxes and signs and point out different colors, letters, and numbers...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I am an Educational Consultant with Usborne Children's Books. I have some great learning materials. Go to www.ubah.com/X2733. A lot of homeschooling parents buy our materials. I use them for my own children, so I can highly recommend them.

Becky Deck
    KidsandBooks@gmail.com
    www.ubah.com/X2733
    momaiminghigh

Answer by momaiminghigh at 4:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Take some flash cards, and tape or tack them up around your house on the things that begin with that letter. Place the "R" on the refrigerator. Place the "T" near the television. Put the letter that your child's name begins with on his or her bedroom door! =)
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 5:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My kids both learned by leapfrog fridge phonics, along with the leapfrog letter factory dvd. The fridge phonics are interactive and the letter factory is engaging. I also us starfall.com. For the number recognition, I bought a book that had numbers 1-10 and each time you pressed the number it said what it was. And a good number song goes a long way. Also, used Brainy Baby flashcards for numbers/letter/shapes/colors.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Simple wooden building blocks. As they build, you say..."Let's put the purple A here!" My almost 2 and almost 3 year old have both done well with this. I started working with the almost three year old on letter sounds using the blocks, too. You can even use them to spell words while building!

Books, books, books. Read, read, read.

And I've also used starfall.com. My oldest is now reading some of the short stories there...he's 4. My youngest LOVES that site. ( I actually let my oldest start using the computer by himself on that site back before he turned three)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008