Are you currently on WIC? Is this normal?

They gave me WIC checks for my baby boy's formula about three months ago. Everything was fine until this month when I looked at the checks and saw that this month (he just turned 6 months old) they cut him from 31 cans a month concentrate to only 12. That's less than half the amount he was getting before.

They gave him the baby food too, but I don't think he should be eating so much baby food that he will now only have enough formula to have ONE bottle a day. He eats 7 ounces per bottle. :(

The cans have 13 ounces, then you add 13 ounces of water. That is 312 ounces per month now divided by 30 days is like 1 1/2 bottles a day. I understand cutting SOME of the cost by not providing all of the formula for me.... but that is a BIG DRASTIC cut. :(

*And please no WIC bashing or bashing me because I can' afford the formula. I didn't have kids to feed off the government. I was on birth control and STILL got pregnant.*

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure its for the liquid, it should not be that drastic
    they should give enough to give
    0-3 mos - 26 fluid oz/day
    4-5 mos - 29 fluid oz/day
    6-12 mos - 20 fluid oz /day
    check the checks again and contac WIC with any questions, if you qualify for food stamps you can use those to buy formula too.

I know they used to give the same amount always but now gradually give less and less, but its supposed to be graudal.
    A FF baby needs a minimum of 20 oz a day u til 12 months, solids or other milks are NOT enoug nutritionally.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It sucks that they do this, but keep in mind that WIC is supplemental. They are not SUPPOSED to give you enough formula for the entire month. I would definitely speak to them and make sure it's not an error, but in the end, I see you having to purchase some formula.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My son was almost completely on solids by 6 months. It's been a few years since I got WIC, but I remember having to supplement with one or two cans of my own a month...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My sis is on WIC and i believe they also cut her dd fomula after like 6 or 7months, here in Texas she only gets 7cans, she needs to buy the rest.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• WIC is only supposed to be a supplement, sweetie. And at 6 months your baby should start eating baby food and other solids.

nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 9:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Wow! I have no idea. Could you call the WIC people and ask them about the dramatic change? Did they try to change him from the concentrate to the powdered formula?
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I also suggest switching to the powder- it seems like you get more than with the concentrate.
    Annabel1809Lee

• You are right. They DO need formula or breast milk, as the MAIN source of nutrition until at least 12 months. Breast or bottle always gets fed BEFORE any solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would def. call the people at WIC and share your concerns. Maybe there is something they can do for you. I totally understand your dilemma because even though babies can get some solids at 6 months ... most babies aren't getting there nutrition from solids!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes it is normal
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2010