How do I file unemployment?

The daycare I work for decided to sell it. My last day of work will be October 8th. I have been there six months. I don't know if I am eligible for unemployment. Can I go ahead and try to apply since I know when my last day will be? I make about $300 a week. How much will unemployment give me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Look in your local phone book for your local unemployment office. It depends on your states laws if your eligible for unemployment or not. In KY I think you have to have at least a years work. But I think they can go back on previous jobs if your current one is too short.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because the economy is so bad I would encourage you to apply now. I learned that you can apply while still working. In Illinois if your hours are cut to under 20 you can collect. With that being said try to apply online. The only thing that will happen is they will say yes or no. You can all so apply for government help (food stamps). Don't asume you will be denied. Just try to apply online and be encouraged.
    Schaun

Answer by Schaun at 9:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I believe you have to wait to file until you are actually unemployed. You should visit your local unemployment office so that you are prepared.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think you'll have to wait because anything can happen between that date.  Look to see if you have Unemployment website for your state.  How much will you get well this is what I found out.  How Much Does Unemployment Pay?

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• How much you get and if you are eligiable for vary from state to state. To file, you'll need to contact your state's bureau of unemployment. The phone number should be in your phone book or you should be able to find it online.

Your unemployment won't start until your job has ended and they verrify that you did work there, why your job is ending, how long you worked there and how much you made.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My state, Missouri, is all done online now. Goggle your state's unemployment office and go from there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It depends on what state you live in. In Indiana, everything is done online. Search unemployment benefits by your state.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 2:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010