3 week old sick :(

what can I do for my 3 week old who is sick. He has a cough, runny nose, and slight fever. He keeps screaming crying, which is very unsual for my son. I already spoke to the oncall doctor and he said to keep him hydrated. anything else?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 10:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• definitely hold him often and alot, he is probablypetrified to feel this way and needs to feel connected to you bodily.,.. this world for newborns is not easy it is big, on the old side for them, and dry... he remembers his happy place in your womb and needs his mommys arms, or dad's make sure your husband stays understanding and doesnt get all annoyed liek mine used to. if you have one. anyway, keep him hydrated with lots of breast or botle OFFERED even if he doesnt take much or at all, keep offering. play low music to distract and soothe him, sing to him gently, rock him in arms, whats happnin is he feeels very uncomfortable. if he gets VERY hot take a washcloth with lukewarm water and gently wipe him down while he's laying on a towel in his diaper. don't overbundle him if he has a fever, but dont let his skin get too cold. i would give a dot of INFANTS tylenol (not motrin til 2 yrs old) but ask doc call again on that pls!!!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• if he falls asleep dont wake him for feeding or other stuff because sleep HEALS and is very good for children, shows also that the fever is NOT big enough to rouse hiim awake with its hot discomfort... good luck!!!! hugs to you both
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i would fill a bath with the johnson and johnson vapor bath for sick babies and snuggle with him in the tub. that always helped with my daughter.
    SweetMiss

Answer by SweetMiss at 10:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010