A good "uniform" for the SAHM?

Hi everyone, I would like to have a "uniform" that I can pull out of the closet everyday and feel cute and fashionable without spending a ton of money. I am a SAHM and a writer, and though it's easy to slouch around in torn t-shirts, I should try a little harder. On the other hand, I have no need of anything dry clean only or expensive (anything above Target prices seems expensive to me). Thanks!

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 8:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• A pair of jeans, pretty tank, black sweater, and a pair of $10 ballerina flats from Charlotte Russe. I always feel nice when I wear stuff like that. Its basically already what you own and easy. Its not too dressy and not too casual. Try it!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I like to be comfortable at home while looking presentable. A nice, simple, fitted T-shirt in a variety of colors along with a pair of pants made out of a flowing, breezy kind of fabric always works for me. Jewlery tends to dress it up more without going overboard for the SAHM. It's comfortable and simple and you can get stuff like that at Target. You could also use the T's with a skirt with attatched shorts underneath. Once again it's comfortable and it looks nice. Plus you can wear sandles or tennis shoes with it.
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 9:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I love Taget it is one of the many stores that I shop for my clients! Try a simple pair of pants, cotton/spandex with a nice T-shirt. You can also do a nice jogging suit when the weather is cool with a nice pair of sneakers. A nice fitting pair of jeans with a nice top and a simple skirt with a fashionable T-shirt,a nice pair of sandalsetc...And basic stud ear rings
    thedies

Answer by thedies at 9:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• When I'm at home I don't like to wear jeans just because I seem to need more movement, lol, so I wear more flowy pants, like cute dressy yoga pants or some great light wool pants from H&M and a knit top. In the summer, I'm all about a cute skirt with a fitted tee and sandals.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I always found adding a nice necklace to a simple outfit- like jeans, nice shirt and cute shoes makes me feel more pulled together.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm going to be a SAHM for the 1st year, and at 25 years of age.... All I can say is DO NOT turn into the "TV commercial mom" where the "uniform" is a cardigan and khakis.... All it does is make us look like OUR moms.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I love a good pair of jeans with a little stretch, a long sleeved solid top, or layered tanks, and a pair of ballerina flats. I also love my little cardigan zip.
    siobhan0529

Answer by siobhan0529 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thanks for the advice, everyone! Now that the weather is cooler in Texas, I need to invest in some long-sleeve shirts.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 7:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008