foot tattoo

about two weeks my mil and dh went out and got tattoos together, dh got one on his shoulder, and my mil got one on her foot. Dhs has healed and doesn't hurt anymore. But mils foot is still red and swollen and hurts. Is this normal for a foot tat?? I don't know if it would take longer to heal or something because of it's location. She said she cleans it and puts lotion on it. I'm worried she might be getting an infection or something!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The foot is one of the most painful places to get a tat, there is just no meat there!! It does take longer to heal - is it swollen or just red? If she's been wearing shoes that rub against it, that may be the cause of the redness - even so, after two weeks, I think she should go see a doctor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have one on my foot and it was sore for a couple weeks because I had to wear shoes and also because how I am, I had to wear socks...I HATE having bare feet....maybe she should go see her dr just in case...I actually jot got a new tattoo last night and it's sore but not even red anymore.
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I got a tattoo that takes up my whole foot. I never had any issues. It was never painful or red or swollen. It healed just as quickly as the one on my shoulder. It does sound like she could possibly be getting an infection. She should probably have it looked at.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 11:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yeah, the foot tends to take longer and is much more painful. Most parts of the body have fat under the skin, which helps not only to keep the pain down, but to keep the trauma to your body down when tattooing. The feet don't have that... So it takes a lot longer for the body to recover... Plus, unlike lots of parts of the body, the feet are in use, moving around, in and out of shoes, bending, flexing, kicking... And you simply can't avoid it. As long as she keeps it clean she'll be fine.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010