I was given a bunch of strawberries from a friends garden - but there are only three of us living at home now, what can I do to help keep them fresher, longer?

angeltweety

Asked by angeltweety at 12:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• leave them dirty and wash only what you will immdediately eat.., yet they have to be completey dry when put in to the fridge..i have also found that placing a paper towel in the containers bottom helps.. and some you can freeze for smoothies...YUM!
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 12:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• rinse them off, dry them, and thorw them in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. This goes for all fruits and veggies. Put the date on the bag, and use within 2 years!
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 1:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Walmart was having a huge strawberry sale recently and so I stocked up. What I did was wash them, sliced them up, and covered them with sugar. Then put them in freezer bags and froze them. Then now for strawberry shortcake all I have to do is buy the little shortcakes, and whipped cream. That is an idea.
    sinkn2theocean

Answer by sinkn2theocean at 8:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you decide to freeze them whole: just make sure to spread them out on a cookie sheet first (do in batches if you have a lot.) Otherwise they'll stick together in a big block once they're frozen.
    karen44

Answer by karen44 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When your tired of eating the fresh, make freezer jam. It's so yummy! The recipe is on the pectin box.
    Sarvin4

Answer by Sarvin4 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Do not wash them, do not put them inside a closed storage bag, they need to be loosly covered, paper towel is good to absorb moisture, don't store in crisper drawer. They need air around them. Also freeze them wither whole, put them on a cookie sheet, into the freezer to freeze, then pop them into a freezer bag, or slice and put sugar on them, then freeze in a zip-lock bag. Either way, you'll be happy later to use them in smoothies or for topping ice-cream or pound cake.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Here's a great recipe to use when they start to get too ripe. They last about 3-4 days longer this way.
    Strawberry Pie

¾ cup sugar
    4 Tablespoons flour
    1/4 cup of strawberry jello (½ of a 3oz. box)
    ¾ cup water
    16 oz pkg. fresh strawberries
    Graham Cracker pie shell
    Mix sugar, flour, and jello in a small saucepan. Add water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until it starts to get thick, about another minute. Set aside to cool slightly. Slice strawberries in half lengthwise. Lay half of strawberries in graham cracker pie shell. (I bake my own using directions on graham cracker crumbs package, plus I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg, which makes it taste yummy, or you can use a pastry crust if you prefer). Pour filling over strawberries and then add another layer of strawberries. Cover and refrigerate 6 hours. Top with whipped topping.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2008