If Don't Ask, Don't Tell is still in effect, then how did that AF nurse get her job back?

Just saw it on the news. She was fired under the DADT policy b/c it was discovered she is lesbian. Then got her job back once she lawyered up .Oooook.... I'm confused.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 11:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because the militray doesn't want the media all up in their face
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because it's a civil right's issue. I think just because someone's gay or lesiband doesn't mean they should be fired. You don't see the boss screwing his secretary getting fired do you?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I seen it too and i am excited for her... Everyone whoreleased due to dadt should be Reinstated.... Good for her !!!!
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Everyone who was released ( sorry i left out a word) lol
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• A judge ruled it unconstitutional to fire them. I'm not sure how it works but I think until it is repealed they will not be firing them. I think the administration would have to step in to stop this ruling. I'm not sure if that's how it works, but that is the way it sounded to me.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• She has not gotten her job back yet. The case she brought is on her situation only, and the judge ruled that it is not going to hurt the military if she remained on duty. However, that is just the judges ruling as of yesterday, and the military is supposedly appealing the ruling and that could take a while. I don't see the ruling being held up until the law is actually repealed and only Congress can do that. If she does get her job back, it will be a unique situation for the military and does not apply to the overall DADT rule.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 11:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• A judge ruled it unconstitutional to fire them.

Service members are still being put out under DADT. That judge's ruling meant nothing, she doesn't have the ability to change military code.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• she was outed by another person...she never told and the AF never asked, but some jerk-wad told. at least thats why i think she won. the whole DADT rule is just stupid anyways, i wish theyd just repeal it already.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

That is most likely the reason. The DoD person (can't think if his name) said that service members can't be discharged because someone outs them, they have to admit it.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• She wants her job back but according to this article she no long meets AF nursing requirements. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010