The birds and the bees?

anyone dealt with this one yet and if so how, did they come to you? or did you start the discusion if so how akward was it and how old were they? I'm nervious about it i definitley have some time to think about what is to be said.

Proverbs3127

Asked by Proverbs3127 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have to say a lot depends on age and your moral issues with sex. Explaining the basic birds and bees to a 3-4 year old I think is harsh. But explaining safe touch to them is appropriate. You certainly wouldn't teach them something you are personally against. But if you are open with them always then they will feel safe to talk to you about it.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, we've discussed and explained sex (hetero & homosexual), masturbation, babies, molestation and similar subject with out children and will continue to do so. It wasn't awkward at all, I sat them down and talked to them. I asked them questions and made sure they understood all the basics. As they get older we will go more and more indepth with how to's and why's. They are 3 & 4 at this point, but we felt it was important to start as early as possible. We believe that if the conversation starts early and is ongoing there will never be a reason for it to be awkward or "off limits."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My daughter came out of health class...."I heard some very disturbing things, Mother". When we got home, she was asking questions. I said, well some women get their periods for 3 days, some for seven. She asks, "In a row?"
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 9:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010