WHAT IS SLEEP APNEA

LoVe4Free

Asked by LoVe4Free at 11:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Health

• Sleep apnea (AP-ne-ah) is a common disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep.

Breathing pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes. They often occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour. Typically, normal breathing then starts again, sometimes with a loud snort or choking sound.

Sleep apnea usually is a chronic (ongoing) condition that disrupts your sleep. You often move out of deep sleep and into light sleep when your breathing pauses or becomes shallow.

This results in poor sleep quality that makes you tired during the day. Sleep apnea is one of the leading causes of excessive daytime sleepiness.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html?gclid=CMzWopT2oqQCFQV2gwodhz2O5w
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Apnea means without breath
    tryin2BGOOD

• I have sleep apnea and if i do not use a special machine to keep me breathing at night I stop breathing for up to several minutes at a time. I have had a sleep test and was told I stop breathing every 82 seconds. It is the answer as to why I have always been so tired during the day and this has been going on since I was in school
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My friend just died because of this
    mcqueenmom2

Answer by mcqueenmom2 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My newborn daughter has central sleep apnea. This means that her brain forgets to breathe every so often while she is sleeping. They treat it with caffeine and babies who have it wear an apnea monitor to make sure they are breathing.

There is also obstructive sleep apnea meaning that the airway gets blocked. This is the more common form of apnea for adults and is usually treated with a CPAP machine that helps keep the airways open.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 6:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• thanks ladys
    LoVe4Free

Comment by LoVe4Free (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• When you stop breathing while sleeping.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I HAVE ACUTE SLEEP APNEA AND I USE A CPAP, A MACHINE TO HELP ME BREATH WHILE I AM SLEEPING. I AM ALWAYS NODDING OFF DURING THE DAY AND I AM ALWAYS TAKING CAT NAPS WHEN I AM IN THE HOSPITAL FOR SURGERIES WHETHER IT IS AS AN OUTPATIENT OR INPATIENT I TAKE MY CPAP BECAUSE I DO NOT ALWAYS COME OUT OF ANESTHESIA LIKE I SHOULD AND THEY ALWAYS HAVE A HARD TIME WAKING ME UP, BUT W/THE CPAP IT MAKES IT EASIER.
    BMA226

Answer by BMA226 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010