Were your babies "spitty" when they were born?

I'm curious how common it is. All of my babies were what the nurses called "spitty babies." They would puke up amniotic fluid and start choking on it, gasping, and breathing it in and we would have to suction their mouths and pat their backs to get it out. With my daughter it started on her second day and it was brown like old blood, it was really gross. It made me scared to fall asleep while they were with me. I was just thinking about it because my SIL is about to have a baby any day and she's having a homebirth, which I think is great, but I was thinking about how scary it was when my babies would choke like that and they aren't planning on having anyone there to help them (after the midwife leaves). I wonder if spitty babies would do better sleeping on thier stomachs for a few days even though it isn't recommended. But I don't know how common it is, maybe their baby isn't likely to be spitty anyway.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no my DD never did this and i had a home waterbirth. Im sure the parents would be informed by the midwife on what to do if this were happening. I dont think it would help by sleeping on the stomach, maybe having tummy time for a little bit though.
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm just thinking if they sleep on the stomach the fluid would maybe go out instead of being inhaled. I'm certainly not going to suggest to them that they put their baby to sleep on its syomach, I just started wondering if that would be the natural solution, because having someone awake all night watching the baby isn't natural.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Mine wasn't. At first when I saw the question, I thought you were talking about drool. I don't think it's something that's common at all. Your sister probably has nothing to worry about.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Two of my kids were. It WAS scary. I would jump out of bed and hold them up to cough it up. It sounded like they were choking. If they slept in my arms they never did that though.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010