How 2 Keep A 3 Yr Old Boy Still Long Enough To Do Some Learning Activities?

Can anyone help me figure out a way to keep my 3 year old son still for at least 30 minutes so I can sit down with him and help him learn his ABCs, 123's, Spelling his name, colors, shapes, etc. He is so smart when it comes to anything else, but he does not & will not pay me any attention when I'm trying to show him this stuff. He says, "I can't say that" or "I can't do that".. I get so frustrated sometimes because I'm thinking.. As smart as you are when it comes to everything else, YES U CAN!! He has already got in trouble at preschool for not listening to the teacher when she told him it was time to stop playing & do some work & she told me I needed to work with him so he doesn't continue this, PLEASE HELPP!!!!!

ManthaCole9406

Asked by ManthaCole9406 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 30 min is too long for him to sit still and pay attention. His teacher knows the attention span of a 3 yr old is short (hence the reason for times out for that age is 3 min). He's fine and sounds normal. I'm a retired teacher and his teacher is a trained professional and knows this will go on while the little ones adjust to life at school. He will settle down in to a routine. Don't punish him for being normal.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I just try to point out colors/shapes/numbers as we go about our day......
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You might want to change your approach. Find a more fun way to learn? There are lots of great learning tools - on youtube there are fun videos for learning abcs and things, and sesamestreet.org has fun games for learning all kinds of things. My almost 3 year old loves them, and has learned rather quickly from them - he actually comes to me and asks me to do it, too, its not something he merely endures.

If you can make it more fun (not that I know what you're doing to know its not, lol) he may be more apt to pay attention. Even if it means getting really creative and inventing a game or something that he'll have fun doing. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Who says he has to sit still to learn? You can play ABC hopscotch, do a colors scavenger hunt, write his name in sidewalk chalk as big as he can make it, count cars on the way to the park. You can pretty much turn anything into a learning activity.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I tried to teach my son the same way I taught my daughter...sit down and look at an activity book. Um...no!! It did not work. With him I have to be much more laid back and teach him on the fly. We will be sitting on the floor playing and I will write a letter on a dry erase board and ask him what it is. We will talk about it, them I will ask him to try to write it over a dotted version I drew. Counting, I use his hotweels or tractors. Try another approach and soon he will be sitting and learning without being told to sit and learn!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Use his favorite characters!! That works alot with my kids.. I created number and alphabet flash cards with their favorite characters, I print activity sheets with their favorite characters at the bottom..I have stickers in my folder and tell them if they do good, i'll let them choose one..I even have special snacks for rewards...
    Supermommy23

Answer by Supermommy23 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• FUN FUN FUN
    ACTIVE
    30 minutes equals 10 3 minutes periods.
    Grab what you can.

If it is not fun, you will destroy any opportunity.

Rewards and Praise Lots!!!!
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Run laps to count
    Pick up balls
    Only the yellow balls
    Find Blue cars
    on and on.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Everything you need is readily available in your immediate environment; this means scarp the lesson plan and work with wherever his interest takes you both.

Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 6:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My son or daughter was never really interested in learning at that age either. Sesame Street is good. The Leap Frog videos are great too. Also Super Why and Word World on PBS. I am not suggesting that our children sit in front of a tv all day long, but if something is on, why not be educational. We also have games like Bingo for colors, numbers and letters. As long as you make it fun he will be learning ~ whether you realize it or not!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 8:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2010