If you are raising your kids in a certain faith,do you teach them that there are other religions that people pratice? adult content

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 12:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My kids understand a lot of different religions - Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism - it's important to me that they are exposed to many different religions, then allowed to make a choice when they are ready.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• They know there are all sorts of religions, cults, etc. But that doesn't mean you have to follow a certain belief. I want our boys to be open minded, not narrow minded, so I won't force to them to believe anything, I want them to be old enough to learn about it and decide for themselves.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm catholic and my husband is Jehova Wittness. My daughter was baptized (sp?) a catholic and right know is taking some bibble classes from the JW. She knows there's other religion and we are letting our children to decide on their own.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 12:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• the worst thing you could ever do for a child is force religion or beliefs on them. my daughter will make her own decisions about that when she's older and they will not be influenced by me
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I grew up never knowing anyone believed anything else
    I encourage my kids to learn about all kinds of beliefs I think it's important
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my son is 5 1/2 and goes to kindergarten at a christian school..... I don't think he realizes it yet, other than that there's lost of churches in towns and they're all sort of "different"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• THIS^^..plus, at 5 1/2, our ds has already asked 'what kind of church is that?' just when passing by in a car. sure, most of the time they are of the xtian faith, as there are more of those, but we answer to the best of our knowledge.
    for instance, he knows other people go to other churches..or he might ask someone what church they go to (gasp!!), and if they said they didn't, he'd likely say, ''ok.''..and go on his merry way.
    i suspect as he gets older, he will become more inquisitive..when he does, again, we'll do our best to answer his questions.
    but no, we aren't teaching him other religions at this point. there is no point at this age.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My kids are too little, imo, to really learn about religions for now. When they are older they will be raised as Christians, because that is what my husband and I are. Though my beliefs often times line up more with Judaism and Buddhism, lol so they will be learning traditional Christianity along with my version. Also, I think it is important to know about different cultures and religions, it helps you get along in the world better. My kids will be taught about all the different religions that are in the world when they are older.

.Lovinglife.

Answer by .Lovinglife. at 12:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Definitely. We enjoy reading books about other faiths to our daughters, which is as far as we can go right now with a two year old and a four month old. But I want my daughters to grow up with respect and understanding of other belief systems and to feel comfortable with friends of any or no faith.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Our family is Catholic. But if the opportunity should come around, I would love for my boys to learn about other religous beliefs. But we ourselves can not teach something we do not know. All we can do is teach them to respect others.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 1:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010