Should I intervene?

My sons take a karate class for kids ages 3-5. Every class, of course, some kids goof around, bother each other, etc. The thing is, there are 2-3 teachers and about 9 kids. The teachers rarely notice some kids goofing around and don't discipline them or tell them to stop and pay attention. I've seen parents shout from the viewing area or run on to the mat to control their child. I'm not sure that its the parents' job to keep control of the child while they are in a class being taught by 3 other adults. What do you think? If its my child, should I intervene or wait for the teacher to step in and keep control of their class?

MrsT6102

Asked by MrsT6102 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Talk to you kid before you get there, reiterate the rules on how he/she should behave and I do think the instructors should intervene on the mat that's why you have them their to learn disciple and control. My daughters instructor would have had a cow if I went on the mat during  training

JenNAY3

Answer by JenNAY3 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• If it was happening right around me I would tell them that their behavior is not acceptable. I wouldn't go to much out of my way unless there was someone getting hurt. It's a toughie you don't want the teacher to think you are trying to take over. Also if it's not that large of an issue I firmly believe that children need to learn to work things out on their own.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 9:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm not sure what program they are in but it sure sounds different than the Karate my sons took. The 'Sen-Sei"(sp) was strict. Parents could observe but if you interrupted you had to leave. He preferred parents watch from upstairs behind a mirror..the kids didn't know it was there. He ran a really tight program and my boys learned a LOT from him. He was generous with praise but he taught discipline and self control thats for sure.
    I think I would be talking to the instructers about your concerns.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes! I thought it should be stricter, also. I enrolled them to help with discipline and focus. Maybe its not that way because they are so little. I've seen older classes and they are tougher with them. I've also seen three year olds taking a swing at other kids in the class. That's not cool with me.
    MrsT6102

Answer by MrsT6102 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My SS wants to do Karate, but I am concerned that he won't learn the discipline to go along with it, just as these children are not, so he hasn't been enrolled yet. I would bring something up to the instructors. Ask them what their goals are for discipline with this age range just so you know if they are not going to enforce it or if they are just letting the children get a handle on things before they get too strict about it. If they don't intend to enforce it, I would intervene or see about transferring him to another class.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• If your putting your hard earned money into it then I would take it up with the instructor (s). Part of the art of karate is discipline. Discipline should have been the FIRST thing addressed.
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 3:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You are paying for this right? I would take the teachers aside after class and tell them what you are seeing and that you don't think it is right.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2008