Child Abuse Statistics adult content

My husband is doing a motorcycle ride today called the Ride for Life to benefit the Baltimore Child Abuse Center..

They say that every 1 in 3 girls & 1 in 7 boys will be sexually abused before the age of 18.. 89% of all victims know, love and trust their abuser.. The national average age of victims, 3-8 years old.. The national average jail term for abusers, less then 2 years.

How do you feel about that? Do you think the statistics are accurate? Or do you feel since there are so many unreported cases that the statistics are off?

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe there is probably lots more that go unreported. Parents that choose not to call the police. Very heartbreaking.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 1:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I THINK IT IS DISGUSTING HOW SOME NASTY ASS PPL CAN ABUSE A CHILD...ITS PATHETIC AND ONE OF THE WORST CRIME...THEY ALL SHOULD GET THE DEATH PENALTY...THE SYSTEM FAILS OUR KIDS...THATS WHY I AM SOOOOOOOO OVER PROTECTED TO MY KIDS ALLLLLL MY KIDS...SHIT LIKE THIS ANGERS ME KNOWING THAT KIDS ARE HURT KILLS ME...BUMP UP TO YOU ON THIS POST MAMA...AND YOUR HUSBAND ROCK FOR RIDING ON THAT BEHALF...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would agree with you completely gertie, except I don't think it's right to put that much on any child's shoulders.

What is needed is punishment and penalties for sex offenders that actually do some good. The laws vary so much from state to state, judges look at the prison population before sentencing, and too many offenders actually just walk ~ and find a different child.

I still think that there should be a federal law and a mandatory death penalty for all sex offenders with no appeals if they confess, if there is dna evidence, an eye witness, or video. Only allow appeals if there isn't proof. If there is, remove them permanently. Kids deserve to be protected, not left out there as bait. Their rights should trump any 'rights' of people who only want to hurt them. Right now our system does everything but pimp them and it has to stop. We can do far better.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• That is so depressing. I wish there was a way to protect all children with knowledge and convince every parent to talk about this with their children so that it is not swept under the rug,ignored.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I thought it was 1 in 4 girls will be sexually abused, but yes that sounds pretty accurate. Very scary stuff.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I personally think the statistics are skewed. I know a lot more than 3 girls. My brother has 4 of them. One in 3 have not been abused.
    There are 14 boys in my family alone. Statistically, 2 of them should have been molested/abused. Hasn't happened. I know there are abusers and molesters. I just think the stats are very skewed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I believe it.

Just because you know more than 3 girls doesn't mean you know that they have/have not been molested or abused. I started being molested at age 6 and didn't tell a soul until I was 17. It's not something that comes up in regular conversation, and to be honest - I wouldn't have told my parents when I was 17 if my then-boyfriend hadn't given me an ultimatum: "You tell or I will."

When it is someone you know, love, and trust who is doing the abusing, it makes it very difficult to come clean. I'm SURE the 89% stat. is correct. I don't know anyone who was abused by a stranger, but more than enough that were abused by someone close to them.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I also think there are a lot more that were not hearing about. My son has a Harley club and they ride for abused children and for Christmas gifts for them. It breaks my heart every time I watch the news about a child being abused and here in Fla it's everyday. I wish that they would be put on an dam island for the rest of their miserable life when they hurt a child or animal. I so wish the laws would change on the time served for these crimes. God Bless the little children. Great question XX.......now if we could do something about it.....Hugs

zbee

Answer by zbee at 6:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Don't get me wrong. I know it happens. I just don't this at that frequency.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• The stats are not as high as that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010