What is the best way to start your baby with a sippy cup? Our son is six months old and just had his checkup/shots. The pediatrician told us that we should start giving him some tap water in a sippy cup. Is there a brand that works best? I know to get one with handles and bright colors etc.

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 1:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sippy's are just like bottles, you kind of just have to play around with it until you find one your son likes. Tommee Tippee and Nuby are the brands we use for our DD. She likes the soft spout ones.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have always put it in front of my kids in their highchairs when they were starting out. they will grab it, smash it around and play with it, probably throw it on the floor a few times, put it in their mouth and chew instead of suck, but eventually they get the hang of it. sometimes i have to hold it up for them in the beginning once they get the hang of drinking out of it because they dont tilt it back far enough. practice makes perfect though :-)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It's more of an experimentation than anything. You have to try them out and see which ones they'll take to the best. My son preferred to use the straw sippies before he would actually use the ones with a spout.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It kind of ends up being personal preference for the baby LOL But with our second we immediately gave him the sippy cup that was a straw inside, because at 6 months of age it takes them a bit to learn to tip it up to drink it, but the straw, he got it immediately. Now at almost 1 yr he drinks out of whatever. But he has a 2 yr old brother he watched and learned from as well. I also put in formula, not just water. I wanted him to realize tht formula just doesn't come from the bottle, I actually gave him formula in the cup for a month before a water or water/juice mix.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Just like with bottles, you have to figure out which one works best for you and your son. Some babies prefer a soft spout, others prefer hard. Some prefer with a valve, some without. Some like handles, some don't. Some don't like spouts and will only use straws. You have to try them and see. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We are in the same boat with our daughter. My mom told me to get one with a soft nipple so its some what similar to a pacifier. and your child will still be able to bite down on it
    starlotte

Answer by starlotte at 2:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I always started with the soft nipple sippys first, and used them when eating baby foods and snacks. At a year old, I get rid of the bottles all together, and only use sippys.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No idea here. DD only ever got one in the car or at a friend's house. I prefer the kind with the straw.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would offer a sippy of water with solid feedings. Of course, always nurse or give a bottle first. I like the cups that are made by The First Years.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010