How long does it approximately take to baby proof the house?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 1:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends on the house
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• A couple of hours at first. BUT then you realize that you missed something about everyday haha!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Our house is about 1700 sq ft. Thanks.
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You should take atleast a month or two b4 ur baby arrives
    Lovelymee23

Answer by Lovelymee23 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wish we had that time. ;-D Our baby is six months old now, and the pediatrician just told us that we should baby proof the house because he is going to start crawling and pulling himself up on furniture. Thus, I was trying to get an idea of approximately how long it takes to do it. :-D
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i do it by age appropriate. for example i just covered up all the electrical outlets and put baby gates up in certain areas of the house cause my daughter just learned to crawl. when she starts cruising i'll have to put stuff on higher shelves, and baby proof the cabinets she can get to when she starts walking, etc. but you can knock it all out at the same time if you want to, it would probably take a day at most to get it all proofed.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I just did it as we went. Like if the baby started to touch the wires, I moved them. None of my 3 kids ever once touched the electrical outlets. I never had covers. I never had to block the stairs. I never locked the toilets or cabinets. I moved all the cleaners and harmful items to a top cabinet.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Depends on how much you have to do. Like a PP, we just did it as necessary. It makes it much less stressful than trying to figure out what you forgot, or thinking that you've gotten it all just to watch as your baby finds something you missed. And it cuts down on unnecessary costs from things that companies want you to buy that you don't actually need, whether because it's completely unnecessary in general or just not needed in your house.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We never really babyproofed with our older kids.  If we saw there was an issue we took care of it.  Like my oldest started messing with my mom's collectibles on a table so I moved them up high.  We put the coffee table against a wall so she wouldn't fall into it and had more room in the living room.  We blocked the stairs once she started to try and climb up them and closed the bathroom door once she started trying to crawl in there, etc.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We totally baby proofed. Gates on top & bottom of stairs is #1. Latches on kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets that have chemicals, shampoo or medicine in them. Bumper for coffee table (we actually just removed it from the den), side tables, hearth of fireplace. Safety knobs for doorknobs when the baby starts to walk. Then we got 3 Summer Infant play yards. they all attach & come with a gate each and we covered the entire perimeter of the den, in front of the couch too and made a huge play area. Then when he went to sleep we moved it from in front of the couch for us. I am sure I did more but those are the Most important to us.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010