Has anyone on here made any baby food herself instead of buying it? If so, did save you money in the end?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 1:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby food can be very cheap if you are just pureeing a little of whatever you are having. Which is all we do when we make our daughter's food. It hasn't cost us any extra.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I ALWAYS MADE MY KIDS BABY FOOD...I LIKE TO KNOW THAT THEY EAT FRESH FRUITS AND VEGGY'S...AMD ITS WAS A JOY TO DO KNOWING EXACTLY THAT MY KIDS WAS EATING HOME COOKED LOVING FOOD...NOT SOMETHING THAT SAT ON A SHELF FOE AGES...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It is WAY cheaper to make your own. You can get a lot out of one sweet potatoe, or a couple apples, a pear, etc. Then when they get older you can just puree whatever you are eating for the most part.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I just waited until my daughter was sitting up on her own and able to feed herself (about 7.5 months old) and just gave her small pieces of whatever appropriate foods we were having. Saved on money and prep time. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You save a TON of money making your own, and it's not that hard. You don't even have to puree things if you don't want to. Sometimes I cook up a ton of carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, etc, and puree it. Mixing and keeping some seperate. Then I will freeze it in small containers. But, most of the time I use a fork to mash/smash whatever we are eating for a meal. If what we ate was non-mashable :D then I gave the kids a banana or yogurt or applesauce.

What helps too, is that the kids learn at an early age to eat different textures and are eating cut up bits of food even earlier (because they are not used to the super fine pureed baby food. There food has always been a bit chunky. My son has been eating solids for about one month and now has 4 or 5 teeth. He will eat just about anything if we cut it into small enough pieces or smash it a little bit.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yeah. It's WAY cheaper to buy fruits and veggies and make your own... Not to mention healthier.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I did this with my now toddler. It saved us a ton of money compared to a friend who bought jar baby food. If I had to guess, between when they started eating solids at six months and when they hit their first birthday, I easily saved $500 alone compared to what she bought (she also bought special baby snacks... I just gave my daughter reasonably soft versions of what we were eating).

My daughter has always been great with eating, in part due to a wide exposure to foods once she started getting solids.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• YES! I loved it! I wanted to do organic and it saved us a ton! We used a Magic Bullet and frozen bags of Oragnic veggies, steam them on the stove (not in the microwave) and mush um in the Magic Bullet, put the mush in the freezer in some ice cube trays (covered)

Don't defrost in the microwave (it kills nutrients), let them defrost covered, by sitting out or run the covered container under some warm water.
    I hope that all makes sense. I would recommend making home made baby food to ANYONE! I LOVE IT Plus you can use local and seasonal produce, as well as giving baby what the rest of the family eats.
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 11:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We just gave our daughters a little of what we were having. I usually just cooked with out adding any extra salt in the food and then pureed it in our little mini grinder. It worked well and was very easy.
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 12:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010