Who do you consider "Christian"?

I see the "Christians do (or don't do) this", "Christians believe (or don't believe) that", or "well, they aren't REAL Christians" comments bandied about here all the time.

There are about 38,000 different denomitations of Chrisitanity, all believing, interpreting and practicing differently...

According to your denomination's belief, or your own personal belief, whom do you condsider to be Christian? What beliefs, practices, etc do you think are essential to be a Christian?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 9:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe a Christian is someone who Believes in Christ as their savior and tries to emulate his teachings. They strive to ACT Christ-like, along with their belief in Christ.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Kristi I agree with you. Yes there are different interpretations of the Bible but I just believe that if you follow the word and try to live your life by the Book, which is an instruction book for Christians then you are a Christian. You also have to profess your belief and spread the Word and never deny Christ because if you do He will deny you in Heaven. Just going to church doesn't make people christian....
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• That has always been my opinion on the matter too, Kristi...

...or as my grandfather likes to say "Believing in Christ makes you a Christian...doing your honest best to act in a manner that Christ would act makes you a good Christian."
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree with KristiS11384. Except that so many people who claim to be Christian do not act "Christ-like". Not all, but MANY are judgmental, condescending, and just plain RUDE! Hardly how they describe Christ, IMO.

I'd like to add that I've also witnessed Christians acting "Christ-like". I'm just speaking of the ones that claim they are saved, but their actions tell a whole different story. If their beliefs are true, there is something terribly wrong with their God who would "save" such people. Just saying you accept Christ does not make you Christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Exactly Thalassa and Hayley.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I believe that a Christian is one who whole-hearted accepts Christ as Savior, has a personal relationship with and lives to serve Him, has love for others, and is obedient to God's Word. I believe there are true and false Christians in all denominations. A true Christian will always look for ways to deepen their relationship with Jesus, and will share their faith in Christ with others.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• agree with KristiS11384. Except that so many people who claim to be Christian do not act "Christ-like". Not all, but MANY are judgmental, condescending, and just plain RUDE! Hardly how they describe Christ, IMO.

And that's where the difference between just being a Christian and being a Good Christian or a TRUE Christian comes into play. KWIM. ANyone can call themselves a Christian but only those who are good Christians and TRUE Christians will reap the everlasting reward. CHekc my answer on the question regarding heaven.(It was a Christians only question but I answered anyways).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I feel they are people that pretent to be God like for the sake of putting other people down. They are also very close-minded people and dont want to typically listen to what others have to say. Very one track minded people. Not all but most.
    Anonymous

• you can be christian if you believe in christ and i think even the ones that are rude, judgemental etc are too except they are just not very good ones and they should repent but also the ones that call them rude and dislike them have to work on their feelings as well and pray for them cause that is what the lord would have you do. they may believe in god just as much as the other but lack some real inspired insight to that particular lesson that god taught. no one should judge another and be able to call one a christian or not cause we are not to judge and if you do then that's not saying that you are not christian otherwise no one on here would be.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• A Christian to me is a Follower of Christ. Someone who TRULY trusts God with all there heart and lets God run there life and not them.

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008