Im breast feeding and one of my breasts hurt

Ive been breastfeeding for 6 months and im not engourged but the top portion of my breast is sore as if bruised on the inside. I dont recall hitting it. Is it normal? Maybe a clogged duct? Or possible part of a menstrual cycle? Im on depo so I dont have the bleeding but I was feeling VERY bloated the a few days ago and I broke out on my face and had abdonminal cramping....help lol

starlotte

Asked by starlotte at 2:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Clogged duct maybe...try a hot shower and massaging it to clear it out a bit. Good luck, call a lactation specialist or ask in the breastfeeding group!
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 2:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• thanks. I tried both and nothing helped lol. well the pain in like a 1 its not bothersome just weird i thought. I did post on teh breastfeeding group. Im new to this cafemom i just signed up lol
    starlotte

Comment by starlotte (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've had a clogged duct, and the pain was way more than a 1, so my guess is it's just a little soreness. If it gets worse, you develop a red bump, get a fever, then I would say go see a lactation consultant and have it checked. It should go away on it's own in a day or so, though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I went through this all day yesterday. My baby is 9 months old. You have a clogged duct and if you don't get it worked out it will turn into mastitis. You need to put a warm heating pad on it and then massage. Then heat. Then massage. Do this throughout the day and try another hot shower. You may want to pump or express a little while massaging the painful area. Be sure to not over stimulate it though or you'll end up engorged and with mastitis for sure. Feed as normal, changing sides. If you develop a fever or red spots or streaks call your doctor right away.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If it feels sore, like it's clogged... it probably is. If it's just a bruised feeling, I don't know. I still recommend to continue adding heat and massaging gently.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If it IS a clogged duct, here is what you should do. Nurse the baby in such a position so that his chin is pointed at the clog ( the area that hurts ). Yes, it will probably be difficult to achieve, but this works. Hot compresses and massage prior to nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010