my 5 mnth old wont sleep at night. what do i do?

raisinkane

Asked by raisinkane at 9:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be teething, try those teething tablets they work wonders and you can use them at any age. Could have night and day mixed up, in that case you will need to somehow work it where your baby is up more during the day then at night. My guess would be teething though 5 months is a common age for the teething to keep them up all night. I would also try a later feeding if you don't already, maybe your baby is getting hungry in the middle of the night. And also something to keep in mind the first year your baby will change thier sleeping habits over and over, you'll just have to keep up and try to get a good schedule going. Goodluck., hope that helps.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son is going to be 8 months on thursday and still does not sleep consistantly through the night. Some of it has to do with his daily naps. I still give him cereal in his formula before bed to tide him over through the night. If he did not have an afternoon nap, he doesn't drink much milk and ends up waking up in the middle of the night. He also sleeps better if I give him a long hot bath. He has sensative skin like mine, but I am able to use the Huggies bedtime wash with lavender and that seems to help too. Good luck, I feel your pain =)
    minsern

Answer by minsern at 10:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• is this a recent development? if so it could be the 6 month growth spurt starting up early.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• babies thrive on routine.. routine.. routine.. we were late coming home one night, and he didnt get to sleep til 930, and then woke up several times in the night.. so now no matter what happens, we are always home by 7pm. We start him with a bit of a bottle, then a bath, then a baby massage, then he's dressed for bed, then he nurses and finishes the rest of his bottle, then he goes to sleep in his crib, we pat him on the back several times, but last night, he was asleep in his carseat and he had a fresh diaper on, so i put him in his crib, and he woke up at midnight, but went right back to sleep, i think it was a baby dream. If you dont have a routine, plan one out, and try it
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Babies do love routines, they love being warm and cozy and rocked or nursed. they also need to learn how to fall asleep and go back to sleep, if woken, on their own. There is a great new product called the Magic Sleepsuit that helps babies sleep better and longer. The testimonials are great on the web site www.magicsleepsuit.com. check it out.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing wrong with a baby that young not sleeping through the night. Think about it. There tummy's are small. They need to eat more often than we do, especially during growth spurts, and he could be teething. He could want some momma cuddle time especially if its a nightmare. I personally don't believe that babies should be taught to sleep through the night at such a young age. They usually need food in between bedtime and morning.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 4:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008