When did your baby start sleeping through the night?

My third child is almost 6 months old and still wakes up at least 5 times every night to nurse back to sleep. My older girls co-slept so it seemed they slept through the night from the start, but my son is the first to actually sleep in a crib, so this is unfamiliar territory for me. He still needs to be tightly swaddled & nursed to sleep before I can put him down. Does anyone have any tips on how to get him to sleep longer or tips on how to teach him to soothe himself back to sleep? Thanks a bunch!

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 2:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first DD was 6 weeks when she decided to sleep ten hours through the night! Woohoo!
    My second DD was 6 months... Boooo...

Do you think he is genuinely hungry when he wakes up or do you think he just wants to be coddled? If you think he is just wanting you to rock him back to sleep, maybe try the Cry-it-out method... I HATED it for my first DD, but some people swear by it.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i was verrry lucky with my girl, she started sleepin thru by 2.5 months. is your son waking up because hes hungry?? have you tried giving him some rice cereal before bed, then nurse him, that way he will be fuller, and may sleep longer..on the other hand i have heard that boys tend do do this longer that girls do..my friends son is almost 2..and he STILL wakes up every night 2-3 times. my other friends boy was about 1.5 before he stayed down for the whole night too..best of luck momma!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my daughter is 2 months and has been sleeping 9 hours a night for over a month
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My DD slept through the night at 14 months. My DS didn't sleep through the night until 18 months. I believe 6 months is way too soon to expect a baby to sleep through the night. Babies get hungry and thirsty during the night. My third baby is 9 months and co-sleeps. She feeds about 4 times a night.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4, they have yet to sleep through the night... I usually get about 3 to 4 hours at a time out of my 3yo, and up to 6 out of my 4yo... But never a full night.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think he wakes up to nurse to be comforted more than because he's hungry. I'm hesitant to let him cry it out because our whole family shares a room (including a 2yo & 4yo who are very light sleepers). but i'd be willing to try it other methods fail.
    rAbella

Comment by rAbella (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my oldest now 5 wouldn't sleep through the night until she was 18 months old. My youngest now 2.5 started sleeping through the night at 3 months old
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My almost 11 month old daughter still wakes up twice throughout the night for a diaper. My first born (2.5 year old son) slept through the night around 4 months old.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My four month old probably sleeps through the night. I say probably because she has a lot of medical problems and doesn't really cry, so she doesn't wake us up at night, but she is on monitoring equipment, so it hasn't caused problems. It's been this way since she came home a month ago.

Her sister really was sleeping through the night at four months.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Jack is 2 months old and sleeps from 8pm-3 or 4am every night  I consider that sleping through the night (just wish he would go to bed later).  He's formula fed, though.  He takes a 4oz bottle each time.  During the day he eats every 2 1/2-3 hours but will go 5-8 hours at night without waking.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2010