If you had $50 to feed a family of 5 for a week, what would you buy?

My husband's next payday is the 1st. Until then we have $54 in our bank account and I need to buy groceries today to last us a week. What would you buy to feed yourself, spouse, 2 toddlers and a 9 month old for a week on $50?

I must buy apples, carrots, and cucumbers because those are staples for my toddler's snacks. I do have 2 lbs of hamburger meat in the freezer and 2 chicken breasts, so I may be able to get by without buying meat. But we are out of bread, milk, lunch meat, and potatoes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it may not be the healthiest, but, i would buy hamburger helper, mr noodles, spaghetti, hot dogs, bread, milk, lunch meat, cereal, yogurt, eggs...
    hamb helper and spaghetti can all be made into leftovers...cook an extra couple of hotdogs, and make hot dog sandwiches, chicken breast and mrnoodles (or rice) one night, one night could be "breakfast" for dinner..french toast, eggs, bacon etc. cereal or toast for breakfasts..yogurt for snacks..if ya have cheese, you could make gilled cheese....easy cookin all week long!!

on a side note, i know how it feels, i only have about $27 in my bank account until next friday too..it sucks!! luckily, its just me n my daughter..but it still sucks!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i would just see what you realy need and go from there also make things you can eat the next day if i was in your area i could help you
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 3:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I am not sure what I buy as food, but I know that I do buy stuff like dinners, milk, cereal, bread, snacks, toilet paper, laundry soap, dish soap, things like that sometimes only on 40.00 a week for a family of 4 not sdure how, but we do if we end up low on money that week. Sometimes I even have to buy cat food and dog food as well with that it is tight, but we do it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Easy.
    Breakfast: Pancakes or oatmeal or a box of cornflakes Need to buy 1 box pancake mix & 1 bottle pancake syrup OR one container oatmeal OR one box cornflakes & milk
    Lunches: leftovers from dinner the night before or sandwiches (tuna, PB & J), soup. Need to buy 2 loaves bread, tuna, peanut butter & jelly, canned soup
    Dinner:
    *Tuna macaroni salad made with 1 box elbow mac, 1 can tuna, 1/2 bag frozen peas, miracle whip style salad dressing or ranch salad dressing
    *Big can of baked beans with hot dogs cut up into it, cornbread from a Jiffy mix, veggie sticks
    Cook up the chicken breasts in some chicken broth. Divide into 3 portions, make:
    *Chicken & rice casserole: 1 portion chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 bag frozen peas or broccoli, salt & pepper, 1/2 cup instant rice
    *Chicken & stuffing casserole: 1 portion chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 bag frozen peas, 1 box chicken stuffing
    (continued)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• *Ramen casserole: 2 pkg. beef flavored Ramen noodles, 1 seasoning pkt from the noodles, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, bit of chopped onion, 1/2 lb. browned ground beef or turkey, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 c. milk
    *Chicken & gravy over rice: 1 portion chicken, 2 pkg. chicken gravy mix, instant rice,
    Hot dogs & noodles skillet meal: 1 pkg hot dogs, 1 pkg wide egg noodles, 1 can tomato soup, small bit of diced onion

Snacks: buy a bag of popcorn or make rice pudding with the instant rice.

I KNOW that if I buy the majority of these ingredients (everything possible) at my local Save A Lot (store brand), buy milk from the local convenience store or on sale (under $2.50 here), add a dozen eggs, a couple of loaves of bread from the day old store, I can do all that with about $40. I'd take the remaining $14 and buy the rest of what you need.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Spaghetti or other pasta with the hamburger in the sauce- you can actually make enough to last two days. Flavored rice (like Knorr brand or Rice a Roni) with cut up chicken breasts mixed in and with a side of a veggie. Grilled cheese or other sandwiches and soup. Tuna casserole. Breakfast for dinner- like pancakes, eggs and fried potatoes. Tortillas are pretty cheap and you can make cheese quesadillas by just putting cheese in between two of them and heating it up in a pan or toaster oven... I've been in your shoes- in fact will be next week (we have five people in the family as well) so I can't wait to read some of the replies you get because I know they'll come in handy!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• breakfast -a box of pancakes and sryup with a fried bologna
    Lunch grilled cheese with your snacks another day hot dogs (chicken franks are really cheap)
    dinner use chicken breast to make grilled chicken salad
    ground beef meatballs gravy and rice. not a weeks worth but so ideas
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 3:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I spent $40 a week for several months on a family of five. I mostly stuck to the outside aisles - buying clearanced veggies, fruits, and meats. Ask your grocer when they mark stuff down. The veggies usually expired that day or the next, but I got stuff I could cook and eat that day, or freeze for later in the week. The meat I just stuck immediately in the freezer. Whole chickens are often on sale for 49 cents a pound. I would get three meals out of one. My husband and I would each have a breast that I trimmed off the bone and the kids would eat the chicken tender part and the rest I picked off. The drumsticks, thighs, and winges would be another meal. Then I would boil all the bones and stuff left. Make chicken broth, pick off the last of the meat and use it in a casserole or rice/pasta dish. I would also use 1/2 lb ground beef and make rice and pasta dishes with them. Add frozen or fresh veggies instead of tons of
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would get my nessisities, then rice, a can of cream of mushroom soup, bell peppers (or maybe broccoli...whichever's cheaper) ceral for breakfasts, eggs, 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 can tomato paste, noodles
    1/2-1 lb ground beef and fried potatoes are a good meal, . then cut up a chicken breast and mix it rice and a can of cream of mushroom soup, with the other chicken breast you cam make a stirfry with 2 green bell peppers (or whatevers cheap) over the rice. Then eggs are actually really good scrambled with rice in them..its more filling and you can maybe throw some of the broccoli or pepper in. then make spagetti with the tomato's and other lb ground beef.
    that's 5 cheap dinners..I would just do cereal for breakfast and leftovers or sandwhiches for lunch..GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• meat and you can stretch the meat into four meals! I also bought bread that was marked down because of the expiration date. I never pay more than a dollar and often get the expensive breads! I just stick them in the freezer and take out the bread as we need it. Milk is a must. My kids drink that and water. Never any juice, except for an occasional treat. Frozen veggies are often on sale and will stretch your meals to. But a 10 pound bag of potatoes! Those are great too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010