I Hate Christmas!

So, recently there was a question about which holiday people liked better - Halloween or Christmas. A number of the answers were along the lines of "I love Christmas but we don't do Halloween" or something similar. My answer was similar but opposite... I hate Christmas, Halloween is my favorite day ever!

When I logged on this morning I received a message from the poster of the question (which is why I'm not linking to it) asking me if I would delete my answer because it was offensive. She stated that Christmas is a holy day and a blessing and Halloween is just evil, and that if I found it that enjoyable to be evil I wasn't the type of person who should be on a "mom site."

Now, first off, if you don't want an answer, don't ask the question!
Second though, is my question. Why is it that someone who loves Christmas is "normal" while those who don't are "offensive?"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• Sorry, I ran out of room...

Anyways, my real question is Why is it that someone who doesn't like Christmas is so wrong? Or that someone liking Halloween is wrong?

I've run in to this before, on and off line and never understood it. I remember having some nasty things said to me at work when I offered to work for Christmas on year... I thought I was being nice by volunteering, since I knew others wanted the day off... But after the nastiness that came out of the other employees I never did it again...

Why is it so wrong NOT to like Christmas?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You got me.

But I've experienced something along the lines of what you did.. I get told off quite often because I do not celebrate Christmas, it's not my favorite holiday, and it's just another day to me..

My favorite holiday is Diwali.. I had 2 different people pm me, telling me that there is no such holiday as Diwali and that I need to quit making up holidays in order to try and "desecrate" the meaning and importance of Christmas"

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because we live in a predominately Christian country. Members of those faiths face discrimination all the time. I don't really blame it on bigotry, more ignorance. We always fear what we don't understand.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yeah, it's not like my kids don't get to do Christmas or something... In fact my kids get not one but THREE "winter holidays." They do Yule with me, Christmas with my DH and his family and "present day" with my mother (because she doesn't do regular holidays but didn't want them to feel like they didn't matter to her - so she made up her own).

Christmas has no spiritual or religious meaning to me. I was raised not to celebrate it, so there is no tradition there for me either. I just see it as a big "pay day" for retailers and little more. I mean really, am I so evil because I don't enjoy or have any reason to even like Christmas? Wow, if that's what makes me evil, it's probably a good thing they don't actually know what a bitch I am! lol

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sorry, I meant to write "Members of other faiths...."
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It's not that you are offensive. It's more that she is Offended and there is a big difference. She chose to be offended, and there is nothing you can do to prevent or cure that. I'm a Christian at a church that loves Halloween. Go figure.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because people are extreme... extreme people like to hear responses from people who believe as they do because it solidifies their beliefs. If you don't agree, then you are making them question themselves are their point of view. Of course it is nonsense... people should be comfortable with their won beliefs and not worry about what others think.

Sadly, this is just the way that some people think and they NEED that verification to feel good about themselves.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Wow! The nerve of some people. I agree. Why did she post the question if she didn't want real answers? I hate how people use this section to justify their own belief systems. Go find a nice group with members that think just like you and stop polluting Answers. I guess I am glad it didn't happen to me, I might really have gone off on a vent. ;)

I love the whole Christmas tradition but I would never be offended or think it's weird that someone else doesn't so I really can't answer your question.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• lol really? thats just crazy.. dont let it et to you
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I dislike the holidays. My sons birthday is in October and he died in February at the age of 10. I become very depressed and unhappy during that period every year. Christmas is extremely hard. I have to make things ok for everyone else, but he is not here. My daughter died this past January and we have her 3 year old daughter. So I know that this year things are going to be even more difficult.
    I do not like or dislike Halloween. It is not a holiday. We buy candy, but the houses are really spread out there are very few trick or treaters.
    It is a day that we do something a little different. It is not a celebration.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010