what are your 2nd graders doing in science?

DD is in grade 2 and her class is doing a unit on the human brain. The teacher is going to bring in a sheeps brain to disect for the class(just her, not a brain for each student) DD is excited(LOL) I thought it was advanced stuff for 2nd grade, but they are enjoying it. DD comes home telling me that she is growing dendrites, and tells me about different parts of the brain. They did a jello mold of a brain, that was fun. Anyhow, just curious if this was something most 2nd graders are doing? Her teacher is known for hands on science stuff, which is realy good I think, fun for the kids.

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So far they have talked about apples, I think her school focuses mainly on reading until 3rd grade. Brain stuff seems advanced.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Wow that is pretty advanced stuff.I hope they dont do that in my daughters class.I would keep her home that day!They have only been talking about apples also like she said!
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My second grader just started insects.... meal worms (YUCK).. I think investigating the brain would be fantastic! Even if you think it is advanced they'll learn something and if they think it is interesting even better. Sometimes I think children are underestimated!
    jjjjsmom

Answer by jjjjsmom at 11:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My daughter's class is doing simple science experiments like hypothesizing whether sugar dissolves faster in warm or cold water and then doing the experiment in class.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. Everything else that has been mentioned here we did last year.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I love it!
    No, my 2nd grader is not delving into science nearly to that degree; you are lucky mom!
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010