how do you disipline a kid that isn't yours? A kid you are babbysitting.

This kid is so bad. I am the same one that has write the previous posts about not bringing diapers and wipes and all that. Well the kids are 20 months and 3 years and he doesn't like me I don't think because I make him sit on the couch and I don't think he gets disipline at home. His mom left this morning and he started screaming after she left I tried comferting him and he hit me and then he started banging on our glass door and tried hitting me again so I made him sit down for a few because he hit me. He is fine with everyone else though the neighbor and my DH, but they can't be over here all the time then me he screams the whole day and I think it is because I disipline him. Today he ran over his brother with a baby doll stroller so I took it he threw a fit and then he wants drink after drink after drink he wont drink water so when I tell him in a little while you can have more he startes screaming. CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Make sure when you are talking to him that you are looking him directly in the eye.

If he throws the toys, remain calm and say "uh oh, looks like you don't want to play with these toys today and I will put them up until you want to play nicely with them." Then do it and go about your business.

If he is crying because he misses his mom or is angry, aknowledge his anger, lonliness or frustration by asking him about it "Are you mad?" , Besides helping him communicate it, you are acknowledging his feelings which may help relieve some of the frustration.

See some books on general discipline and time-out which will help you http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would just do time out and talk to them. I don't feel comfortable spanking a child that isn't mine, even if I have permission. Afterward I would talk to the mother.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• He will throw his cup at me as well. Yesterday he took a toy from his brother I mad him give it back and he threw his cup at his brother then a little while ago he took a toy from my 2.5 year old I made him give it back he got mad and threw something at me I made him sit down, but as soon as I turn my back he is off the couch or jumping to the next couch. I don't know what to do he doens't listen he emptys the mega blocks all over the floor when I ask him to pick them up he goes plays with another toy and doesn't listen even if I pick them up with him he wont. So I told him if he can't pick them up then he wont be aloud to play with the toys anymore he wont listen he is 3 and he will not listen what so ever
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• you need to talk to the mom, tell her whats going on and that he has some listening problems, beware your child will pick up and learn things from this unruley child.
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sounds like you have been trying a lot. If you have been watching him for a short amount of time less then 4-6 months Im sure this will work its way out with time and patients. Try a behavior chart with him and when he is clam talk to him about cleaning up. Stick with the timeouts but try a new place that doesnt make him the center of attention.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I don't know what to tell you besides tell the pareants about the issue and ask them how they want it handled. When I worked at a daycare we were not allowed to discipline at all unless the parent told us something like "if so and so hits, then he can't have his lolipop".
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would in a childcare/preschool and it is very frustrating when you cannot spank that butt once in a while. The only thing we can do is time out, notes homes, and kick them out of the center(which causes a loss of money and they don't like that). I try to be very consistant, count 123, put them in time out, make them sit there(even if you have to stand there and make him), his time starts over until he sits there 3 minutes still and quiet.
    Tell his mother everything he does everyday and what you did to try to make it better, just incase she every trys to say you are mean to him.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

She already has
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010