What are your feelings on Christian Science being forced into healthcare plans?

When they do not use health care why should they be forced to be in managed care?

martinmommy26

Asked by martinmommy26 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As a Christian Scientist, I would prefer not to have to pay into the federally required health plan, since my preference is to rely on spiritual care alone to meet my health needs. But the goal is not so much to avoid paying into the health are system but to see spiritual care included in it. Our hope is that at some point there will be a broader recognition that there is a spiritual dimension to health care, and that our health are system will be improved by making that care available -- according to individual choice -- to anyone.

We understand that there are many government programs that all tax payers support even though they do not use them, and that this is necessary to support the actuarial basis of the program. Christian Scientists are very careful to obey health laws, such as quarantines, because they understand that not everyone supports their position on spiritual care.
    ChrisGray

Answer by ChrisGray at 11:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• "Everyone will be forced into healthcare plans....... religious or not"

Yes, that is HORRIBLE!! Having to be covered for health care that we receive. I mean what IS the president thinking....taking our healthcare into consideration!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would think that since there are religious exemptions being permitted, that in time the RS will be exempt as well. I would assume that they were overlooked because it's not a religious belief which is popular enough to make any real impact on politics or society... But with some lawyers, I can't see any reason why they couldn't get out of having to carry it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm all for it. Tax payers end up paying it in the long run anyways
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well they do use it. It just usually involves an ambulance... unfortunately. Our neighbor guy collapsed in his drive and an ambulance was called by another neighbor. Ruptured apendix and he was toxic.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Everyone will be forced into healthcare plans....... religious or not. Thank you Obama! (.......sarcasm......).
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm all for it and think they should stop bitching.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• TheAmish are a very small group, with very strict rules about society. They live close together, their lifstyle is completely different from the general population. You can't compare them.
    Should everyone be forced to have health insurance? YES. Why? Because when some schmuck who doesn't want health insurance doesn't get preventative care, and ends up in the ER with a debilitating stroke, and is pretty much a vegetable and needs long term care, surgeries and tons of meds, we ALL have to foot the bill for the idiot. But if we help pay for it, and they get early treatment, the conditon can be controlled for a lot less. And said schmuck still remains a contributing member of society.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sherribeare- The Amish and Muslim religions are eligible for exemption because of religions reasons. They are the only 2 groups directly listed.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wonder what percentage of amish will chose to take part in the program even though they are exempt. We have a heavy amish populaiton in our area and they are always in the doctor waiting rooms when we are there. The women recieve regular Gyno care and screenings, they use dentists for dental care, have their kids in the peds office and it appears to be a well child visit. I always assumed it must be hard for them to get health care since they don't have a regular paycheck type income (well most of them don't some do) and I would imagine high cholesterol would be an issue based on diet. Awesome food, but definitely a high fat diet. Which they need for the amount of calories they burn during a day.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010