What canI do to help my face?

I have recently broke out in the a rash of adult acne,. I went online and did some of my own research to find out what I can do to help control it or remove this godawful skin disease off of my face. I broke out four to five weeks ago and nothing is curing it. Unfortunately, I have an HMO and my Dr. could not see me until 10/15/10. I called her at the beginning of September so she could refer me to a dermatologist and have been trying to be patient and wait...but JEEZ! The problem is getting much worse. Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions? I am starting to scar and according to what I read...since it is adult acne, my collagen level has dropped so my skin does not have the elasticity it use to have, therefore my scars are most likely going to be permanent. PLEASE< PLEASE HELP!

ladyc76

Asked by ladyc76 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Try not to scratch or pop them.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Proactive really does work.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wonder if you if you have a bacteria overgrowth on your face. My little one has ezcema which our derm says is partially because of bacteria over growth on the skin. He gets a bleach bath 2x a week. A bathtub full of water with 1/2 cup of bleach added. I would go ahead and do this... its just a little bit stronger than a swimming pools chlorine level. Go ahead and soak your whole body, but take a clean washcloth, get it wet while you are the bleach bath, and lean back, relax with your head on the back of the tub and drape the wet washcloth across your face, sicne you can't soak your face in the tub like your body. Dip it occasionally to rewet/refresh it. That should drop the bacteria count on your face enough to keep it under control until you get to the derm. Good luck!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think it is Costco that has a knock off for Proactiv.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Avon also has a knock off for Proactiv. But I know that Proactiv works because I used it when my face broke out after stopping BC pills.
    PmhTaylor

Answer by PmhTaylor at 5:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Avon has a great product, part of the Clearskin line that is an "on the spot" treatment that actually works overnight. i break out on my chin and around my nose/mouth, and if I put this on the night before, when I wake up, the blemish is greatly reduced in size, and depending how soon you treat the blemish it could completely disappear overnight. This is a great product and fairly inexpensive. $5.29 I believe.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 6:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• if you can't seek a dermatologist a facial specialist might be the next best stop.

They can recommend products for your skin type and condition that will be the most helpful and offer great make up product tips. (it's also a great stress reliever which can be a cause of acne).

Change in diet can also effect your skin, so try to eat healthy foods.

acne can't be treated topically, it must be cured from the inside, so treating the underlying issue normally will help get rid of acne, although there are many topical products that can reduce the outbreaks.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• while people on here can recommend products they can only tell you what's worked for their skin type and their condition, so it may not work for yours. which is why a dermatologist or facial specialist is best.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• For Acne, I use Mary Kay's Acne Treatment Gel and the Timewise Miracle Set. Before Mary Kay, I tried everything, even proactive and nothing worked! Now having used the miracle set, my skin is so much clearer and I only need to use the gel for occasional breakouts.

mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 3:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I always have issues with acne when I get pregnant, and I routinely do a facewash 2x's a day (different brands work differently for people, so it's really hard to suggest what to use). Also I exfoliate and use an astringent. Mud masks 2-3x's a week. It all seems to help. I don't get those red whopping huge zits anymore, just the teeny tiny white heads once in a while.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010