S/O on Israel question ....

Do you know what Zionism is? Do you support it? (what religion are you?)

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Jewish Zionism is the political movement that is implementing the national liberation of the Jewish people. It is based on the assertion that the Jewish people, like any other people, has the right to self-determination; Jews have a right to a national home in their historic homeland.  Notice is says nothing about the End times, Jesus, or being the chosen people of God...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Christian Zionism is a predominantly American movement that believes that the modern state of Israel is the catalyst for the end of times, the fulfillment of biblical prophecy, and the return of Jesus with final judgment. This dispensationalist view of the Bible looks forward to Jesus’ second coming, an event only possible, it is believed, when the state of Israel reclaims its ancient borders with an undivided Jerusalem as its capital. Christian Zionists tend to support any action toward this end, neglecting the cries for justice from those who would be affected. HOWEVER not all Christian Zionists are Dispensationalists... some adhere to this notion:

continued...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Supersessionism (Replacement theology) - Supersessionism is the doctrine that God has broken his covenant with the Jews, and has now invested his favor in the Christian church, which is now to be understood as "Israel." All references to "restoration of Israel" in the Old testament, in the sense of practical return of the Jews to their homeland and reestablishment of a Jewish commonwealth, and all references to "Israel" and "House of Jacob" and "my people" in prophesy, would now be taken to refer to Christianity. Thus, for example, the prophesy of End of Days of Isaiah would have to refer to Christians, rather than Jews.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Christian Zionism is religious, Jewish Zionism is political.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Do you mean Jewish Zionism or Christian Zionism because they are not the same thing...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Zionism is a political theology/doctrine that I do NOT believe in or support in any way.

Zionism also has many different "branches" (for lack of a better word or term).. Example: General Zionism, Christian Zionism, there's even Green Zioinism now,..etc.

All have their different drives behind their cause. The cause varies.. Israeli/Jewish Zionist, use their doctrine to push for a Jewish only nation/state or homeland (whichever phrase one would like to use).. Christian Zionist, use their doctrine to push for a Jewish only homeland, but their reasons stem from the ideology that this will bring about the second coming of the Christ..

The beginnings of Zionism as a political movement and being pushed as such, began in the late 1800's.

Many support Zionism for their own reasons, through different points in history.

It's just not an ideology that I personally can or do agree with.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Examples? All you have to do is look at the old testament about the story of Abraham. God Himself said it was to the boy ISRAEL who would inherit the land, NOT Ishmael. Ishmael's decendants would be many because his mother was banished by Sarah and she went out to the desert crying. God heard her cry. But He still said ISRAEL is the intended one to inherit the land. But, many who support palestine have so much hate for Israel (actually jealousy because they know God did NOT give them that land) that they have harassed ALL of Israel, not just the Jewish zionists. I have never met a more mean, nasty people than those who hate Israel.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:40 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I feel the land should have been left alone after WWII because you can't just create a state for people without taking it away from someone else, and creating a real mess. However now that they are there, there is no going back, just like the colonists and the Native Americans. After several generations of people being born in a land, whose is it really?  I think now there has to be real concessions on the part of Israel to divide the land with Palestine and Palestine is going to have to accept that Israel isn't leaving. I have no idea how Jerusalem will ever be agreed upon, so I really see no end to this situation. 

Maybe Jerusalem should become it's own territory governed by both parties, I know I'm a dreamer, but even in really bad divorces parents are forced into shard custody agreements.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have the gist of what it is, but I don't honestly know enough about it to form an opinion for or against... I would need more education before I could really decide how I feel.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm with Sabrina. I looked it up but I would rather know more about it to say I'm for or against it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010