Are you teaching your children another language?

If so, what language, how old are they and what method do you use to teach them?

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• All my kids are fluent in Greek because DH is Greek but I don't know much (just some words, can't form sentences) so there's mainly English at home. DH and his parents talk to them in Greek when I'm not there and that's how they learnt. When they turned 6 they went to Greek school 4 hours/week to learn to write and read.

My oldest is also a major in Spanish and minor Italian. She loves languages.

One of my 9yo twins is also learning Spanish (oldest is a tutor)
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 3:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my parents will speak Spanish to my kids, but I am not fluent. The older kids get, the harder it is to learn, so I really want them to develop other languages. I wouldn't mind them learning german, which my husband studied in HS.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes we are. My husband is from Buenos Aires so he speaks to our boys in Spanish and I speak to them in English. My 4 year old can speak and understand Spanish and my 1 yr old can understand it.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nope, Just English in my household.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No only English in my household but if they want to learn another one once they get to junior high, high school I'll all for them joining the class
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My children and I speak English and French at home, but my husband speaks to them in Ukrainian and their extended family speaks French with them. They are both under 2yrs old so They can mostly just understand and say one or two words. If they go to public school it will be French Immersion and if they stay home I will teach the French and they will go to Ukrainian school on Saturday.
    In Canada you cannot go to university without a highschool level second language. So I think it's important to help them learn early.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nope. We speak English here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I always let teachers teach my kids...no homeschooling. They learned a little Spanish in grade school and when they got to high school they had a choice of Spanish French or German. We encouraged them to be interested in a foreign language and to learn about people outside of the United Staes since they are all part of our big wide wonderful world.
    We spent time in Europe with the Air Force....we all used a little Spanish and French occasionally but they DO speak English in Europe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i WANT to teach my daughters another language, but can't decide which. HA! either german or french.......... i can understand german, but cannot speak it, and i can speak a bit of french, but not enough to be considere fluent. lol. i heard german from when i was born, until about 4 years old (born in germany. parents and i are american.) i love being able to understand it, and would love to teach my children.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I haven't but i'd love to i think it broadens their horizens and it's proven that most kids in a bi-linguel household have higher test scores. They learn twice as much then children with just one language i think it's a great idea i just don't know any other language. We taught our son baby sign language by saying the word while doing the sign and showing the object and he got it very quick, we also rewarded him when he learned new signs. I encourage anyone thinking about it.

Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010