Gingivitis

What can be done about gingivitis? Can it be reversed. I know someone who recently went to the ER with an infection that had caused their whole face to be swollen. The doctor prescribed Penicillin VK 500 mg.for infection & vicadin for pain.
The ER doctor said they have gingivitis. The thing is they were fine and then in 3 days they got to where they couldn't eat or barely open their mouths.
They are wondering if it is gingivitis or maybe it is something else.
Their face and chin is still very swollen.

violetz

Asked by violetz at 3:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Health

• ouch
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Have you had your wisdom teeth cut out yet? If not, that could be the cause of your pain and problems.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• no, they have had their wisdom teeth out. they are only 23 years old they had their wisdom teeth out at 17 or 18
    violetz

Comment by violetz (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• That sounds more like an abscess to me than gingivitis.. Abscesses can cause face swelling, pain and even death. BTDT myself, 26 hours in the ER, IV antibiotics and steriod treatments, CAT scans, drainage tubes placed in my gums... Wooooo it was as nasty nasty experience..

As for gingivitis (as with an abscess) it can only be fixed/cured by a dentist. Gingivitis is caused by the build up of crud under the gumline. Only a professional can clean that out. That build up also causes erosion of the jsw bone as well. There is also a special treatment that is used during this cleaning, and oral rinse that is prescribed as well.

If it is seriosness enough to experience what you have shared. A dental visit, and beginnings of treatments needs to start ASAP. Or it will continue to become worse.. Dental issue of this magnitude (ones that cause you to end up in the ER) can and do become life threatening if they are not addressed.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Their resources are limited so no cat scans or drains or anything more than looking in their mouth. Even the mouthwash wasn't covered. They don't have insurance but will be able to apply for a indigent program through the hospital clinics on monday.
    I will take them on monday. I will pass on the information
    thank you so much.
    violetz

Comment by violetz (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010