My son has a hard time getting to sleep.

My son is 6 weeks old and he always has a hard time getting to sleep. i always make sure he's comfotable(fed,changed,etc) and i'll give him his binky or let him nurse until he falls asleep or rock him, but he always wakes up about every 30 min or sometimes 15 minutes. he'll cry until you pick him up and then sometimes he'll keep crying. do you think it's tummy pain? whenever i lay down with him or have my hand on him he sleeps fine,but if im not there(nap time) he wakes constantly. does it take a while to develop the skill to soothe himself?

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 3:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it can take a bit for him to learn how to soothe himself throughout the night. At 6 weeks, he is still considered a newborn, and newborns generally need to be help and comforted to sleep. Have you tried swaddling him tightly? That always worked for my children.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• people fall asleep when their body tells them it needs it. We can;t force someone to be sleepy, regadless of age. He'll sleep..when he's ready :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2010