Anyone from Indianapolis???

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-bakery-wont-make-rainbow-cupcakes-092310,0,6300849.story

Thoughts?

Asked by older at 3:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I think its sad people are so closed minded :(
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I guess it is their choice. Stupid but still their choice.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My son's marching band went to a band competition there last year. That is as close to this question as I am getting!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think it's their right. I hate to say it , but there are still a lot of people in this country that don't accept the homosexual lifestyle. It's their choice whether or not they want to accept the business.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I don't necessarily agree with their stance, but I don't have to. It's a small business run by it's owners. If they make a business decision, it's theirs to make. I wouldn't think it would be the best decision, but theirs all the same. I guess they don't need the business. That said, is there are shortage of bakeries that make cupcakes that are airbrushed with rainbow colors? Seems instead of trying to ruin a business by media, why not focus energy into finding another bakery that would like the income? You can't force someone to accept a lifestyle that they don't agree with. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Older, the owners may see it that way. If they don't support the lifestyle, then they may see that providing services to them is supporting it. Perhaps they didn't want their name associated with the event. I know people who do the opposite: they won't shop at a store that sponsors the gay & lesbian movement or Planned Parenthood, etc. Again, it's their decision to make, and it's their business to lose. Business are allowed to make that decision. There's a restaurant down here in my state that won't serve families with rowdy kids. Granted it's not the same thing, but it's that business' decision to determine who their customers are.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Okay, seems a little extreme to me though. I'm not sure how your values could be effected by cupcakes.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Quinn, would making cup cakes mean they accept the lifestyle? Comment by older

Nope, not in my personal opinion.  I also already stated that I didn't think it was a sound business decision.  And I can see how that might hurt the feelings of some of the people that are ready to celebrate coming out day, but that doesn't mean that this business has an obligation to provide a service if they choose not to.  They lose the business and the money but I don't see a reason to demonize them.  It would be far more productive to find another bakery that is willing to fill the order and if it's appropriate give that bakery the business. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Oh for Petes sake
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• This is a section of the article:

IUPUI's spokesperson said the school has no formal complaint against the bakery and added embracing diversity means allowing the business owners the right to their opinion and the right to choose how to serve its customers, as long as those customers are not discriminated against.

wouldn't this be classified as discrimination?

Comment by older (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010