my grandson wasnt in school yesterday and i didnt get any calls can anyone tell me who would be responsible???? or dont they care if a kid is missing

he skipped school and we had no idea till last night in Monteray they always called and i know this is middle school but he is only twleve and still a kid ... who would be responsible for calling and letting my daughter or me know he missed?????

virginiawsikora

Asked by virginiawsikora at 10:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• whoever is in the attendance office
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Geeze.... Yeah You should have been called, these day's a kid skipping school could get into a bad situation with all the crazys in the world!

JenNAY3

Answer by JenNAY3 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The attendance office should have called you before class was over! jenNAY3 is right anything could have happend to the child!! You guys need to bring this issue up to the principal.
    thedies

Answer by thedies at 10:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree, I would think the attendance office, although when I was in middle school (granted it was years ago) they only call parents if it was a few days in a row. I would have your daughter call the school and let them know that she is concerned about him skipping and would like a phone call right away when he does not show up.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my daughter's middle school calls within an hour after school. hmm i would let them know you didn't receive a call maybe they have the wrong #
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• In our school district, it doesn't matter the age. The office calls me within an hour of the morning bell ringing. The other ladies are right about all the crazys in the world. I'm in Missouri and this makes me think of Shawn Hornbeck.

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/recovered.cfm?id=25563
    viking95

Answer by viking95 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Very true viking95 you would think now a days schools would be more on alert. I was born and raised in St. Louis, MO. just recently move across the river, but I remember that case. Thankfully he was found alive, I will never forget the breaking news that they found him, it gave me instant chills and I started crying right away..
    But again i would have your daughter make a concerned call to the school and if that doesn't work I would work my way up the ladder until you get results.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son was sick the other day and I forgot to call to excuse him, but I got a call at 9 am letting me kow that he was absent. In my high school, they had a recording that would call at the end of the day and say "Your child missed one or more classes today" Ensure they have the right number, then raise cain if they do.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My school never called when I was out for a day or two. If you want the school to call you, you have to let them know. There are too many kids to do that and with so many honestly home sick, why call unless there are multiple missed days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I don't know how your school system works. The one where we live, if they are not there at the beginning of the day, they do not call to inform you until they miss 2 days in a row, and the trigger for them to call is if the child isn't there when attendance is done. Was he there at the beginning of the day and then skipped or was he gone all day? If he was there at the beginning, maybe the attendance office didn't know he skipped. Personally, I'd contact the school and tell them that you don't know how they handle things, but that you are concerned about him, and you want to be notified every time he is not there. Maybe set up something with his teachers that if they don't see him in class, they contact you. That way, regardless of their policy, they will know to contact you and you shouldn't have this problem again.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2008